PDA

View Full Version : blooming of the moss

Valerio Tarone
07-04-2008, 03:26 PM
these are the tiny flowers of a moss. handheld because it's impossible use a tripod lying on the earth! sigma 70 macro 3,5 !/20 ISO 200 flash off matrix

Steve Foss
07-04-2008, 03:42 PM
Hi Valerio, we've got lots of moss like this, and I love when it flowers. They are so small, but are resilient, too.

When shooting from the ground at mosses like this, I either use my hand for a rest or a beanbag and with iso up around 400 and a wide open aperture am generally able to get sharp images.

IMO, the webs detract from this composition, there are hotspots on the flowers (-1/3 or 2/3 exposure compensation would have taken care of that and given you a faster shutter speed) and no part of this image is sharp.

Julie Kenward
07-04-2008, 07:54 PM
Valerio, I have to agree with Steve. You need to have at least a few of those flowers crisply in focus for the OOF (out of focus) ones to work. I'd try it again with Steve's suggestions - get that elbow on the ground and brace your camera and really aim for some crispness in the image. I think if the web had been in focus it would have added to the composition but with it blurry, it just adds to the confusion. Try again and keep 'em coming!

John Cooper
07-05-2008, 02:47 AM
Hi Valerio - further to the advice offered above, I spend a great deal of my time lying on the ground to get my macro shots.
A tripod that is capable of getting down to ground level of course is necessary or miniture table top tripods. I've also used a bean -bag to stabilize the camera on occasions. On these occasions I find my angle-finder attached to the viewfinder eye piece a huge benefit.

Ed Vatza
07-05-2008, 06:43 AM
You've got a lot of good feedback above. Now it time to put it to use. I've been in the same position and have found the feedback here to be invaluable. I've put the feedback to use and think my images have improved 100% or more.

And just to complete the loop so to speak. You can use a tripod (some tripods at least) flat on the ground. I have a Manfrotto and the bottom of the center column unscrews. Then the legs can go out perfectly flat so the total height is pretty much the height of the head you are using. I've used my tripod this way several times.

Keep shooting.

Steve Foss
07-05-2008, 10:14 AM
You can also buy a clamp mount for your camera, which clamps on a tripod leg and has a ballhead. That will allow you to work right down on the ground. Check with B&H photo.

Mike Moats
07-06-2008, 09:00 PM
Hey Valerio, some good advise already mentioned.

Valerio Tarone
07-08-2008, 12:38 PM
6 answers! very well. I've understood: 1 use a small tripod or something similar. 2The increased Dof can be obtained increasing ISO (I didn't know). I've pressed the page to remember. in Latino:errando discitur.

Roman Kurywczak
07-08-2008, 03:57 PM
Hi Valerio,
Just in addition to the above very good dvise. A bag filled with beans or rice will also work as a low tripod. Very cheap and easy to make.