PDA

View Full Version : Bullfinch (Pyrrhula pyrrhula)

Jonathan Ashton
04-13-2020, 02:17 PM
Image captured in the back garden, sunflower seeds used as bait

Olympus : E-M1X
Lens focal length : 100 mm
Focal Length (35 mm conversion) : 200.0mm
Metering mode : Pattern
Exposure mode : Manual exposure
ISO Sensitivity : 800
Exposure compensation : 0.0 EV
Shutter speed : 1/2500 sec (Procapture High)
Aperture : F6.3

ACR & PSCC

Volkan Akgul
04-13-2020, 02:26 PM
hi Jonathan, congratulaions.

David Roach
04-13-2020, 02:29 PM
You are having way too much fun and success in that back garden... Wow, perfect pose with details everywhere and a lovely BG to boot. I like the HA as it is where this beauty is heading. TFS

ps
those feet...

Steve Kaluski
04-13-2020, 03:06 PM
Hi Jon, cool pose and I like the angle/spraed of the wings. OK, so you jumped to f/6.3, but I'm wondering f/7.1 to for the head, or maybe it's - these old eyes? Did you apply you normal NR, or is this without? Just looks a bit too smooth???

Glad you got some sunshine today.

TFS
Steve

gail bisson
04-13-2020, 03:46 PM
Love the wing spread but not tack sharp and the HA is not ideal.
You are definitely getting close to the Alan Murphy type of shot!!

dankearl
04-13-2020, 04:33 PM
Still not sharp enough. I would shoot wide open as fast you can...
Alan Murphy does.

Bill Dix
04-13-2020, 04:55 PM
Great wing spread, and I'm fine with him looking where he's going. I agree the head is not tack sharp.

Jonathan Ashton
04-14-2020, 02:06 AM
Thanks for the feedback everyone, much appreciated. The aperture chosen depends on the position in which I am relative to the bird, sometimes I anticipate lateral movement and sometimes it is fore and aft so I can sometimes get away with wider rather than small apertures,, it after the event that I sometimes wish for different. Steve I cannot remember if I used NR - but most likely did.

Steve Kaluski
04-14-2020, 02:17 AM
If you refer back to your Master file and look at the adjustments does it not say? I think you just need to peg the NR back, it just doesn’t look natural IMHO. I know you can adjust it in real time, don’t let Auto control your creativity :w3

Jonathan Ashton
04-14-2020, 10:45 AM
If you refer back to your Master file and look at the adjustments does it not say? I think you just need to peg the NR back, it just doesn’t look natural IMHO. I know you can adjust it in real time, don’t let Auto control your creativity :w3

No, I have not processed it as you might have imagined.

Andreas Liedmann
04-14-2020, 02:11 PM
Hi Jon .... good to see this new stuff from you , seems to be fun .

Personally I still feel the images do look a bit like a composite ... due to its nature . But I am impressed what you do with your kit .

Have more fun ... and show the results .

TFS Andreas

John Mack
04-14-2020, 03:21 PM
This would have been killer if the bird's head was turned more towards you. Keep them coming i enjoy viewing these ones.

arash_hazeghi
04-14-2020, 07:31 PM
nice wing position but the head is turned away from us and also soft, there a subtle halo around the birds from blurring the BG that has a cut and paste look to my eyes too. a fun shot to view but not a keeper if you want my honest opinion....
TFS

Jonathan Ashton
04-15-2020, 11:07 AM
Thanks everyone, your opinions are welcome and well received. Hopefully next one will be a little better, there are a few more of these types of images.