PDA

View Full Version : Red Shouldered Hawk

TerryM
07-04-2008, 12:39 PM
Shot in natural environment. Yes, I know there are lots of limbs in the way. Did not seem practical to clone them out. Since I am new at this would like some opinions on this picture. It is a 40% crop, xt, 400mm, ap, ev -1/3, ISO 800, 1/500 at f5.6
Thanks for looking.
http://www.pbase.com/terrym123/image/92388649/original.jpg

Gail Spitler
07-04-2008, 01:31 PM
Terry
For me, the hawk is great - sharp, well positioned. The overall composition seems well balanced. So there is a lot of fine work here. Unfortunately, all those branches really do ruin the image for me. The viewer has to visually fight their way through all the distraction to get to the good stuff.
I know I am still at the stage of "but look at this part, Ain't it great!" with lots of my images when the reality is they just don't cut it. I have to learn to either get the garbage out before I shoot, or learn to PP it out afterwards.
Gail

George DeCamp
07-04-2008, 02:01 PM
Hey Terry!

I think Gail hit the nail on the head! You did very well with the composition and techs, the exposure looks good! This is nice as a show and tell image so I would keep it until you get a shot at one in the clear, it will come so be patient.

TerryM
07-04-2008, 02:09 PM
Thanks, Guys. I guess I knew that all along, but helps for you to tell me. Yes, Gail. I guess I am at that stage too.

Gus Cobos
07-04-2008, 03:32 PM
Fantastic looking Bird Terry,
Composition, image and details are dead on. Head angle is there, with a very sharp eye. No nits from me, all of the techs. have been covered. Be patient, and try getting a cleaner background for your next one. Congrats...I like it...:cool:

Alfred Forns
07-04-2008, 03:42 PM
Terry keep in mind it all depends what you want out of the image!!!

From your position is the very best image you could have made As presented would give the bird more room, seems tight. Would save the image as a record hawk image and with time you will be making lots better !!! You got the basics now you need the bird !!!!

Nonda Surratt
07-04-2008, 04:17 PM
Sticks..Blah! Agree with Gail 100%

Lance Peters
07-04-2008, 05:56 PM
Fine looking bird - I am sure you will get another go at him/her.

Agree with all the above

Desmond Chan
07-05-2008, 01:16 PM
Terry keep in mind it all depends what you want out of the image!!! [snip]

From your position is the very best image you could have made

Totally agree with Al !!

Oscar Zangroniz
07-05-2008, 10:34 PM
Great looking bird. Very sharp and excellent head angle.