PDA

View Full Version : Simplicity #2

Ed Vatza
07-04-2008, 12:35 PM
Chickory.

Conditions overcast with mist.

Canon Rebel XT; Sigma 150mm Macro; Canon 430 EX Flash with LumiQuest Softbox on adjustable bracket; Tripod-mounted.

1/40 sec at f/16; ISO 800; -1/3 EV; FEC -1

Julie Kenward
07-04-2008, 08:00 PM
I've been looking at this for awhile now, Ed. I don't dislike it but I don't love it, either. Maybe the quality of the flash lighting is what's putting me off - I'm just not sure. Your BG is nice; compo is good, your flower is crisp and DOF is there...that's why I think it might be the slightly bright lighting. Again...it's not bad...it really isn't...I think there's just not any one thing that makes it a staondout. Does that make sense?

John Cooper
07-05-2008, 02:51 AM
Hi Ed - when viewed on my monitor I can't fault it!!
Lovely composition and BG and l love the detail of the plant-hairs. Again, well done!!

Ed Vatza
07-05-2008, 06:49 AM
Thanks Julie. Thanks John. I always appreciate the feedback. It gives me something to work off of the next time I head out.

Given my comment to your post Julie, I obviously understand what you mean when you feel something about an image even if you can't explain. The one thing I did do here was to move the flash off to the left so the light was coming left to right. That could be responsible for the lighting effect you were feeling. The light was directed at the inside of those petals on the right.

Mike Moats
07-06-2008, 09:04 PM
Hey Ed, overall good job on the image, I might have left out the buds on the stem and just shot the flower with connecting buds.

Roman Kurywczak
07-08-2008, 03:52 PM
Hi Ed,
Compositionally....this is very strong. For me a slightly.......and I do mean slightly......higher vantae point peeking in would have been preferable. I think the lighting isn't bad on my monitor either but the directional flash did overpower the bloom just a hair. You could correct that a bit in PP.