PDA

View Full Version : A Waddling Wave of Wadders

Dave Harwood
04-10-2020, 03:43 PM
Got to know the morning rituals of this mother Mallard who emerged from the marshes beside a Maine lake nearly the same time every day. I was ready for her discretely setting up low to the water. Unfortunately, her forays came about 10 in the morning, just as the sun poked through the pines. I had problems with her cheek and shadowing on two of the brood. Used layering in PS to improve tonality. Might have been better to increase exposure compensation and shutter? Otherwise, with a minimum of other refinements, the results match how I remember the scene.

Canon EOS 1D Mk II
f/5.6 1/800 ISO 2000, 1/3 EV
EF 200-400mm f/4L IS USM Extender 1.4x
Focal Length 406mm
Flash Type Did not fire
Tripod w Gimbal Head Used
50% of Original

Your comments and suggestions are always welcome.

David Roach
04-10-2020, 05:07 PM
A nice intimate view of this mom with her brood. The challenging dappled light looks handled well. Love the pose on the middle duckling. Wish for a little more on the left. TFS

arash_hazeghi
04-11-2020, 03:28 AM
I like the delicate chicks but overall I'm afraid this image doesn't work for me.. too cluttered and busy while nothing is quite sharp and in focus

TFS

Dave Harwood
04-11-2020, 06:41 AM
David, Thanks for the kind observations. When you have a moment, tell me a little more about there needing more on the left. Do you mean how it's cropped? Appreciatively, Dave Harwood

Dave Harwood
04-11-2020, 06:46 AM
Arash, That was good of you to take a look. Sorry you weren't satisfied with the shot. I suspect "busy" for one set of eyes is the making of a "story" for another set? Appreciate your dedication to this site and what a commitment is must take to do all the reviews you have. Thank you. Dave Harwood

David Roach
04-11-2020, 07:56 AM
David, Thanks for the kind observations. When you have a moment, tell me a little more about there needing more on the left. Do you mean how it's cropped? Appreciatively, Dave Harwood

Yes Dave, the crop with a little more room for the two ahead to move into.

John Mack
04-11-2020, 09:27 AM
Cute little ones here. Nice moment.

Daniel Cadieux
04-11-2020, 11:13 AM
I love watching the baby mallards and protective mother. My favorite part of this image is the "middle" duckling. Cute! The image as a whole is indeed busy, but the main issue was the light and its dappled nature. A cloudy day would help here, if 10AM is their daily routine. Or maybe trying to get closer and concentrating on one individual. Yes also to the two individuals that are tight on the left side. Despite the issues of the frame, it is a fun story of a family taking a stroll along the shoreline.

arash_hazeghi
04-11-2020, 02:27 PM
Arash, That was good of you to take a look. Sorry you weren't satisfied with the shot. I suspect "busy" for one set of eyes is the making of a "story" for another set? Appreciate your dedication to this site and what a commitment is must take to do all the reviews you have. Thank you. Dave Harwood

Hi Dave, busy means lack of separation between the subjects and the BG. A BG like this distracts from the subject and the story and doesn't add anything aesthetically pleasing to the image either. One way to get more separation is to get lower to the ground but that probably doesn't work in this location.

stay safe and TFS again