PDA

View Full Version : Ruff

Krijn Trimbos
07-04-2008, 11:57 AM
Hi all,

Just a little while longer and my computer will be fully installed again, so hopefully I can upload images on a more regular basis soon!!!

This is from my fieldwork period. Altough these birds migrate through the Netherlands in large numbers they are a pain to photograph, flying off at the moment they spot you. So although this is nothing really special, I was happy to get a picture of a Ruff in moulting plumage in the last light of the day.

Critiques and comments are always welcome,

Canon EOS 30D 1/160 f8 Manual
ISO 400
Canon 300 L USM and 2X converter
RAW

Axel Hildebrandt
07-04-2008, 01:01 PM
Great find, light, details and setting. The bill looks a bit oversharpened. Keep them coming!

Manos Papadomanolakis
07-04-2008, 01:36 PM
Great colors,details and light,I would prefer a bit crop at the bottom!

Daniel Cadieux
07-04-2008, 02:13 PM
Interesting molting plumage, Krijn. I wouldn't mind cropped more from the bottom too, but still like it as is. It's always satisfying to get an acceptable image of a tough to get species, so I can relate to your story!

Bob Cameron
07-04-2008, 04:41 PM
Agree, the tighter crop from the bottom would help. Also find the pink color in the right corner a distraction but as said a very good image of a difficult subject.

Jody Melanson
07-04-2008, 09:01 PM
Interesting looking bird. I like the low angle and BG. Seems to be a bit of a halo around the head.

Stephen Stephen
07-04-2008, 10:04 PM
Nice low angle in this image. I was about to agree with Jody about the "Halo" but I seem to see the same shapes and colour repeated in the OOF background. Where there seed heads or something else there?

Judy Lynn Malloch
07-04-2008, 10:13 PM
Krijn this is great capture and from your background info not an easy image to get. Beautiful detail and good lighting. I agree about the cropping but also like it as posted. Big congratulations on this capture.

James Salywoda
07-05-2008, 12:03 AM
I like the habitat in this shot and the stepping pose captured such a beautiful bird....

Krijn Trimbos
07-05-2008, 04:49 AM
Hi eveyone, thanks for the comments.

To Jody and Stephen I think what you are referring too as halo is actually an OOF flower, one similar to the flowers on the left of the bird. Am interested in the cropping suggestion and am going to give that a try.

Thanks again,

Cheers