PDA

View Full Version : Big Splash

Randy Stout
04-07-2020, 06:36 PM
This free ranging trumpeter swan was captured two days ago at the local bird sanctuary. The trumpeters are quite cranky due to spring hormones, so lots of chasing, biting, etc. This individual had just taken a pass at another bird, and was skidding to a stop, causing the big spray of water.

D850. f/7.1 1/2000s. ISO 400. Handheld

Post: LR Classic and PS 2020. Modest crop for composition. Cleaned up a few water spots.

Advice and comments always appreciated.

Cheers

Randy

Colin Driscoll
04-08-2020, 05:22 AM
Good action and exposure. Biggest problem for me is the abrupt loss of water ripple reflection on the LHS. Easy enough to fill in though.

David Roach
04-08-2020, 06:04 AM
The subject and the droplets look killer against the dark BG. Maybe slightly over sharpened, not sure. TFS

dankearl
04-08-2020, 10:07 AM
I like it, nice backlighting...

Jan van Holten
04-08-2020, 10:43 AM
Like it to. Bird looks really great, especially the wings. I think sharpening was on a good level, although the waterdrops are providing the idea of to much. But that can be just a false representation (correct English??)

Randy Stout
04-08-2020, 11:05 AM
Like it to. Bird looks really great, especially the wings. I think sharpening was on a good level, although the waterdrops are providing the idea of to much. But that can be just a false representation (correct English??)

Jan: I would probably say "false impression" vs. false representation, but English is a very slippery language !

Steve Kaluski
04-08-2020, 12:30 PM
Wonderfull image Randy, having the dark backdrop just emphasises the whole scene oh so well. Good exposure and for me, an image that isn't about sharpness/clarity, but more about the moment. Love the fact that the 'spray' is to one side, nicely framed in-camera. :cheers:

TFS
Steve

John Mack
04-08-2020, 05:20 PM
Love it. That back lighting and dark background make this one. That splash on the right is great. Nice glow to the wings as well. Very nice.