PDA

View Full Version : Pirate raft spider

Jonathan Ashton
04-07-2020, 10:15 AM
Taken on the waterline on my garden pond, I noticed the spider walking across the pond, he had spotted another spider.
Hand held
Olympus : E-M1X
Lens focal length : 40-150mm & MC20 (First time I have used this combination for macro)
Focal length in 35 mm film : 601.0mm
Metering mode : Pattern
Exposure mode : Manual exposure
AUTO ISO : 250
Shutter speed : 1/400 sec
Aperture : F8
Exposure bias : 0 EV

ACR & PSCC

Randy Stout
04-08-2020, 06:52 AM
Jon:

Spiders are such interesting looking creatures, and you captured that here. Like the angle of the spider in the frame, more dynamic. Not like some stodgy bull frog !
Like the rocks pattern and colors. The water on the right gave me the impression that there was a shadow creeping in behind the spider.
Well exposed.
Not an easy rig to shoot handheld I would think.

Cheers

Randy

Jonathan Ashton
04-08-2020, 10:22 AM
Jon:

Spiders are such interesting looking creatures, and you captured that here. Like the angle of the spider in the frame, more dynamic. Not like some stodgy bull frog !
Like the rocks pattern and colors. The water on the right gave me the impression that there was a shadow creeping in behind the spider.
Well exposed.
Not an easy rig to shoot handheld I would think.

Cheers

Randy

Randy - no kidding an absolute piece of cake to hold, you have to try one to believe it, I just cannot remember the last time I used a tripod. The 60mm macro lens is something else razor sharp and tiny, in fact so small it looks cute!
The main thing to remember is to take meticulous care focusing, I tend to use silent mode shutter, so I take a number of images to compare and there is absolutely no wear and tear on the camera shutter mechanism unlike when using the mechanical mode.
I was initially concerned about the water line but on reflection I think it tells the story about these little guys at the water's edge.

John Mack
04-08-2020, 05:29 PM
Nice job on getting this one. Nice to see the spider by water.