PDA

View Full Version : Ram Island Lighthouse Sunrise

Grady Weed
07-04-2008, 11:10 AM
Canon EOS 5D, Shooting Date/Time 7/2/2008 05:16:34, Shutter Speed 1/8Sec. Av(Aperture Value) F22, Evaluative metering, Exposure Compensation +1/3, ISO 100, Lens: EF28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM, Focal Length 135.0 mm, RAW, Gitzo Tripod, Wimberley W2 with cable release. 95% of frame here and cropped for a 9x12 print.

The colors are spot on for what I saw. Minor blacks, curves and color balance adjustments. Signed in PS version 6. i like this view and the colors today are rare for this spot. The clouds softened the sun somewhat. Since I do not have filters I have to wait for the right light. I realy like this image as is.

This the view from the far right ledge when at the Portland Headlight. This light is rather old, filled with cormorants, and very rocky approach. Once in a while the sun rises just right and lights it up. My favorite location for lighthouses. Thanks for looking.

Bob Cameron
07-04-2008, 06:39 PM
Grady, I know this location and it is a wonderful place. I like the image but I am thinking that moving the sun more out of the center would strengthen it. It might have more drama if it were further to the right. But I do like it and it sounds like you captured the image you wanted to make, so that is great.

Roman Kurywczak
07-05-2008, 09:02 AM
Hi Grady,
It's very rare for a sky to have so much interest that it can carry an image............in this case it does..........but it would not if the sun were in another position. The sun is in the ROT area so the placement is fine for me and the sky is so beautiful that it does carry the rest of the image. I would have probably hit this with a local contrast adjustment..........even though it did probably look this way as I know there is a haze usually present towards ram island.
Nicely done...........must make a very nice print.

Paul Marcellini
07-05-2008, 01:07 PM
Great sky. I'm usually drawn to the more complex comps, but the simplicity here really works. I like the soft look overall, and might try to mute the sun a bit to match the overall color tones. Maybe just desat the red around it.

Robert Amoruso
07-06-2008, 06:29 PM
I would agree that the reds are over saturated. AN interesting experiment would be to clone out the lighthouse. I did and like it.