PDA

View Full Version : The Devil Bird

Gary Dumer
07-04-2008, 10:37 AM
Caught in a Small Alabama Swamp Morning Light.
http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s212/hTr_02/devil.jpg

40D, 700mm, F8, ISO 250, Av Mode, Exp=0

Judy Lynn Malloch
07-04-2008, 11:12 AM
Very nice capture Gary with good detail and color. I like the pose and the eye contact in this capture and the great BG. This would work well as a vertical too as there is a lot of space on the right. I would have liked to have seen a slight more head turn but a great image of a difficult bird to photograph. Thanks for sharing Gary.

Stephen Stephen
07-04-2008, 11:26 AM
Gary I agree with Judy's comments on this image. Congratulations on capturing a difficult subject.

George DeCamp
07-04-2008, 12:15 PM
I like the mood here and Agree with Judy's suggestions.Maybe a touch lighter?

You sure are right on the title...never snagged a good image of one myself...sigh!

Daniel Cadieux
07-04-2008, 02:23 PM
I really like the composition with this one Gary. A slightly better head angle would have given this image that much more "oomph"...but just like George I too have never had a worthwhile image of this species therefore kudos are in order for fine photo.

Philip Lombard
07-04-2008, 03:30 PM
Super shot Gary, good comp,bg and exposure.

Bob Cameron
07-04-2008, 04:50 PM
Agree on the comments but also want to say that kingfishers are some of the toughest subjects and you have a very acceptable image. Congratulations.

Gary Dumer
07-04-2008, 04:50 PM
I had this in Portrait in a Crop as suggested and the IQ was beyond what I would accept, Greater than a 50% crop. The empty space was to create Mood of the Solitary Bird staring into Space. I really appreciate your Input and Understand your reasoning.

Thank You All

Grady Weed
07-05-2008, 10:01 AM
I would keep it as is in regards to dead space on the left. I totally agree with the thought of lonely solitary empty space for the bird to look into. It is one of the toughest birds to image I know of. I have made 3 in the 6 years I have been trying. They are fast, blend in and will fly at a eye blink! This image to me conveys that. It is king of all it surveys!

Too many times posters want an in your face detailed image, some would like to count the eyelashes, LOL. There is a place for all images captured. This one is captured with feeling. Any image that can elicit a strong feeling, in a good way, is a worthwhile one. Sorry to go on like that.

Gary Dumer
07-05-2008, 11:16 AM
I would keep it as is in regards to dead space on the left. I totally agree with the thought of lonely solitary empty space for the bird to look into. It is one of the toughest birds to image I know of. I have made 3 in the 6 years I have been trying. They are fast, blend in and will fly at a eye blink! This image to me conveys that. It is king of all it surveys!

Too many times posters want an in your face detailed image, some would like to count the eyelashes, LOL. There is a place for all images captured. This one is captured with feeling. Any image that can elicit a strong feeling, in a good way, is a worthwhile one. Sorry to go on like that.

Thank You Grady, You have expressed better than I what It was to Represent!!!