PDA

View Full Version : Wood Duck (f)

Steve Kaluski
03-27-2020, 08:28 AM
A very straight forward image of a female Wood Duck. She had hopped onto a railing, the streaks at the foot was from I think, a bit of damp as it had been frosty earlier in the morning, the pale background was OOF reeds way in the distance, if my memory serves me correctly. Perhaps stepping a bit further back may have brought the tip of the bill and feet more into focus, even at f/9 and at ISO4000 the IQ is good enough.

Thanks to those who viewed or commented on the previous posting.

Steve

Subject: Wood Duck (f) (Aix sponsa)
Camera: Canon EOS 5D Mark IV
Lens: EF500mm f/4L IS II USM HH
Exposure: 1/800s at f/9 ISO4000
Original format: Landscape, very slight crop on both sides and above
Processed via: LRCC Classic & PSCC2020

Randy Stout
03-27-2020, 08:58 AM
Steve:

The head on view, soft light and background, sharpness , exposure, all good. Agree about bill, but the slight OOF isn't very noticeable because of it being against the breast. The artificial perch is what it is, but at least the color matches with some of hers. Cheers

Randy

Steve Kaluski
03-27-2020, 09:36 AM
Cheers Randy, well summed up. :wave:

Jonathan Ashton
03-27-2020, 12:06 PM
That will do nicely.... as the man said! Happy with the angle, the eyes hold my attention so I to am not too concerned about the bill.
I can't help but feel we dwell too much on perceived perfection in terms of DOF, when we look at an animal in life we do not actually look to see if it is all in perfect focus and we probably can't because as we look at the subject we keep refocusing..... so what is the big deal ..really??? I think it's because someone once said everything has to be in focus to be a good image, I do not entirely agree. Ok my little rant is over now:w3

Steve Kaluski
03-27-2020, 12:36 PM
Jon you know me, always striving for 'perfection' otherwise we never grow... guess it's from the early days with AR, still kicks my butt too!!!! :w3

John Mack
03-27-2020, 03:01 PM
The green on the top of the head is nice. Also like the pose. Nice you were able to get this close. Background is spot on. Image quality looks great to me.

kevin Hice
03-27-2020, 07:03 PM
Steve I too like the straight and downward look. The bill isn't very noticeable and I like the raised leg adds to the photo some action perceived. Not a big fan of the railing but I would have taken the shot.Details and colors look good. TFS

gail bisson
03-28-2020, 08:20 AM
I know exactly where you took this!
I like the direct gaze and the IQ.
Only wish for a better perch,
Gail

Daniel Cadieux
03-28-2020, 10:25 AM
I'm in the "as long as the eye is sharp" camp, with some exceptions obviously, so this works quite fine for me. I love the perfect eye-to-eye stare, sharpness, smooth BG. The perch, as Randy says, is what it is - could have been worse. The Wood Ducks over here so very tame that moving up for tight head portraits work well in situations like this:S3:.

Steve Kaluski
03-28-2020, 10:33 AM
I know exactly where you took this! Only wish for a better perch,

Indeed Gail, so would I, but as you know there is nothing 'natural' around the spot. :bg3:

The perch, as Randy says, is what it is - could have been worse.

Cheers Dan, you just have to make the most of it at times. :w3