PDA

View Full Version : Creating a Border

Michael P. Centanni
07-04-2008, 09:15 AM
I am looking to put a border on my pic's. Is there any step by step instructions out there that I can use?
I use Lightroom mostly for editing as it seems the easiest for me, I also have CS2 , someday will upgrade but I really do not use it that much. And also, I recieved Nikons NX when I got my D300. Not sure even how to go about this.:o I believe its a layer and I can save it for all pic's which would be great.
Any info would be appreciated!!!!

Thanks!

Lana Hays
07-04-2008, 09:44 AM
Michael
I add a black border to all my images that I post and it's quite simple. I suppose you could do it as a layer but you could add it to the properly sized image and then just not save it. This is how I add the border:
Go to the menu at the top.......Image......and select Canvas Size
Change the units from inches to pixels
Simply increase the pixels by 2 to both width and height
Make sure that the color extension color at the bottom is black (or whatever color you want the border)

As a note.....I always add a 2pixel border but you might want a larger one. I don't know if it is still like this or not but years ago when I started to do this you needed to add pixels by even numbers such as 2 or 4 or 6. For some reason an odd number made the border funky looking.

Hope this helps.

Geurt Bloem
07-07-2008, 10:10 AM
Try a nifty piece of software called Bordermaker, link here (http://www.bordermaker.nl/en/home.html).

Fabs Forns
07-07-2008, 10:32 AM
With Lana's instructions, you can do a fancier border if you want, just add one step at a time, alternating colors of your choice.
This was done in the same layer.
If you wanted a drop shadow, then you'd want to use a layer and go to Layer>Layer Style>Drop Shadow.

Here's a sample in the same layer;

Fabs Forns
07-07-2008, 10:34 AM
Here's your dialog box:

Michael P. Centanni
07-07-2008, 11:37 AM
Thanks Fabs for the great advice! I will try this.