PDA

View Full Version : A Parents Patience... Pileated Woodpecker (m) and Chick

Joseph Przybyla
03-24-2020, 06:38 PM
As other on BPN I am going back and working on old files. This image is from 2016, the palm tree trunk this nest was in is not longer standing, Hurricane Irma took it down. The male Pileated Woodpecker has just returned to the nest to feed the woodpecker chicks. The young one is literally assaulting the adult in its eagerness to eat. I wish I could have photographed from closer but with the nest being about forty feet up the tree and the tree located in a small grass clearing I had to move back as far as I could on the light angle and extend my monopod as high as possible to lessen the upwards angle. Because of these conditions the crop is larger that what I would have preferred. Comments and critique welcomed and appreciated. Thank you for viewing.

Nikon D7000
Nikon 80-400mm F/4.5-5.6 VRII AF-S ED, image captured at 400mm
1/2000 F/8 Matrix Metering EV +2/3 ISO 1000 WB set with eyedropper, camera supported by a monopod
Post processed in Lightroom Classic, Photoshop CC 2020 and Neat Image for noise reduction
Cropped for composition and presentation

arash_hazeghi
03-25-2020, 02:34 AM
cool moment, I like both of the them, the IQ isn't there for this shot, the darks are grainy and neither shows much detail. palm texture is nice though

TFS and stay safe

Bill Dix
03-25-2020, 09:28 AM
Great moment captured, Joe. Your self-critique covered the rest.

John Mack
03-25-2020, 02:13 PM
A nice moment for sure. Like the framing. Yes image quality is not up to your usual.