PDA

View Full Version : Mallard (Anas platyrhynchos)

Jonathan Ashton
03-19-2020, 05:13 PM
Taken at Ashton Park West Kirby
Hand held
Olympus : E-M1X
Lens focal length : 420 mm
Focal length in 35 mm film : 841.0mm
Metering mode : Pattern
Shutter speed : 1/1600 sec
Aperture : F5.6
Exposure mode : Manual exposure
ISO : 500
Exposure bias : -3.3 EV

ACR + PSCC

All comments welcome

David Roach
03-19-2020, 09:06 PM
Just wonderful light on your beautiful subject. I also love all the reflections (birds and trees). Not so sure about overall composition though. Maybe some off the top. TFS

Steve Kaluski
03-20-2020, 08:05 AM
No sure Jon, the crop is awkward and the BKG elements are distracting IMHO. I feel there is more you can extract from the subject and I would loose the blue in whites of the plumage. Not sure if it was inspired by the water rail, but that was lit by lights, but good to explore. :w3

TFS
Steve

Bill Dix
03-20-2020, 09:01 AM
I rather like the dark setting, lighting and preening pose. But I would take out the whitish streak on the left, which I find somewhat distracting.

Jonathan Ashton
03-20-2020, 02:33 PM
Thanks everyone, I deliberately posted knowing it may be a little contentious, the composition is questionable....but it is real, the lighting could be made to reveal more detail in the duck but I feel I captured the moment and I think it is a little thought provoking. I hope more people chime in - favourable or otherwise!!

Steve Kaluski
03-20-2020, 02:38 PM
‘Thought provoking’ I think has a lot of merit, as it does make folk question things and can lead to an interesting thread with POV and opening up the ‘conversation’ which IMHO is something that makes a good Forum and where it’s informative and folk learn, or question both the thread and how they operate. :S3:

John Mack
03-21-2020, 10:32 AM
I can see what you were going for here. The mood is quite nice. But i also think just too much negative space. The mallard looks nice and sharp.