PDA

View Full Version : Wren (Troglodytes troglodytes)

Jonathan Ashton
03-18-2020, 03:13 PM
Another little minstrel I encountered on a recent morning walk with Barney

Olympus : E-M1X
Lens Model : M.300mm F4.0 + MC-20
Lens focal length : 600 mm
Focal length in 35 mm film : 1202.0mm
Metering mode : Pattern
Shutter speed : 1/1600 sec
Aperture : F8
Exposure mode : Manual exposure
ISO : 5000
Exposure bias : 0 EV

ACR + PSCC

Colin Driscoll
03-18-2020, 07:57 PM
A good calling shot and detail, I keep being impressed by your Olympus gear. Just a pity the wren wasn't a bit more isolated on the branch.

Steve Kaluski
03-19-2020, 05:22 AM
Hi Jon, a nice encounter, as these wee birds are like bullets, hopping around. Looks like an old apple tree, as this is a typical scene we see in the garden. Like the open beak, perhaps a bit more of a body turn, but as it's not a set-up and more of an opportune encounter you did well to get what you did. The shadow on the tail is a little unfortunate, but hey... not sure about the 'hip', does it draw the eye or is it a nice hint of colour???? F/8, so that's what, f/11???

TFS
Steve

Jonathan Ashton
03-19-2020, 07:55 AM
Thanks Colin and Steve, I am trying to capture natural behaviour in natural settings, less concerned about composition and idyllic presentation.
Steve I have just remembered it is a hawthorn so that is a hawthorn berry. Your original suggestion for a apple tree wasn't far out as there is literally an apple tree next to this tree.
I guess the f8 translates to f11, it varies some with focal length, some shorter lenses show greater than one stop difference... did you notice ISO 5000 that's pretty high for this camera body, I was quite pleased.

Steve Kaluski
03-19-2020, 08:07 AM
ISO5000, careful Jon, the ‘Flat earth’ society will tell you your camera will melt!!! :bg3:

Well done, talk later!

John Mack
03-19-2020, 04:57 PM
The calling pose is nice. The image quality looks great for the high ISO. Not so sure about all those branches. But this is what you saw.