PDA

View Full Version : Wood Duck

Jack Backs
03-15-2020, 05:12 PM
This is an image that I wouldn't normally post but I'm a little intrigued what members of this forum think about it. I posted a number of images from an outing Friday morning on the
Missouri Birders FB group. These included the Green-winged Teal image I posted yesterday which I thought was a much better image. The odd thing was that at least twice as many
liked this image. I've run into this before. The Missouri Dental Association has a yearly photo contest for member dentists that they use for cover photos for their bimonthly magazine.
One category is wildlife. I submitted images a couple of years and didn't win anything to my frustration as I (obviously) thought my images were superior. The last couple of years I
posted a number of my best images on FB and had my friends vote on which one they thought was the best. I won the category the last two years using this strategy. Anyway....
The image looks cluttered to me. There are some areas of the breast that are a little smudged from an OOF branch that I tried to minimize. Straight size reduction, no sharpening
applied for posting.
Nikon D500, 500mmF4VRII, TC-14EIII
1/1250s. f5.6, iso1000

John Mack
03-15-2020, 05:37 PM
You caught the colors on the head very well. This is exactly where i see wood ducks in my neck of the woods. Lots of distrations. So i would deem this a practical image. Those people are just looking at the bird. They don't care there are branches in front of and around the duck. They are not looking for the bird being tack sharp having a perfect head angle with a perfect pose in a nice setting with nice light and and a killer background. They are literally just looking at the bird.

Randy Stout
03-15-2020, 06:20 PM
Jack:

The colors are vivid, the shooting angle very engaging, and of course, that killer eye. Yes, a bit cluttered looking. I would consider removing the two small twigs right behind his head. Although it is hard to tell for sure sometimes when the bird is angled like this, it does appear that it need a slight clockwise rotation.

It is always interesting to see what images appeal to what groups.

I always let my wife look at images for me. She is not a skilled technical photographer, but has a very good eye and often comes at images with a more wholistic view than I do.

Cheers

Randy

Jack Backs
03-15-2020, 06:33 PM
I agree about the branches behind the head, something I normally would have done for posting. This is how it was posted on FB.

gail bisson
03-15-2020, 07:20 PM
I love your low POV. You have shown the iridescence very well.
I don't mind the branches to the right and left but have a problem with the OOF branches on the breast and the ones sticking out of the head.
I am always amazed at how the lay person and bird photographer see an image. My best BPN images usually get a lukewarm response from friends and family. Images that I would never dream of posting on BPN get rave reviews at home and on FB.
We are preaching to very different audiences! And different judges.
What i find most interesting is that my own personal favorite images are rarely a hit on BPN so personal attachment to an image also complicates the playing field.

Joseph Przybyla
03-16-2020, 10:58 AM
Hi Jack, lovely Wood Duck. Lovely low POV. I think the most important part of the bird is free of branches. I might lower the saturation on the head a bit, the red on the bill and eye look too much on my display. Thank you for sharing.

Mike Poole
03-16-2020, 06:00 PM
I'd lose the 2 aforementioned branches at the head, but after that I'd be happy with this. Yes, its not a 'traditional BPN image' but I do like some environment in my shots so it works for me. Possibly a little over saturated, maybe that's how he was lit, but apart from that, good work with a nice low shooting angle

Mike

Daniel Cadieux
03-18-2020, 11:54 AM
Nice colours and great low angle. Yes to being a bit busy, bu there is also so intimacy to the image that would be lacking otherwise. Yes to CW rotation. As far as image reception, I have the same experience as Gail. I also find that a so-so image of a Wood Duck will almost always garner more likes and comments on FB/IG than a perfect image of any other duck. Same goes with bad owl photos VS any other bird. Or fox VS any other animal, etc....