PDA

View Full Version : Bald Eagle taking flight from frozen waterfall

Arthur Morris
03-14-2020, 12:47 PM
This image was created on 7 MAR 2020, the last day of the 2nd Homer IPT. I used the handheld Sony FE 200-600mm f/5.6-6.3 G OSS lens (https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1485540-REG/sony_sel200600g_fe_200_600mm_f_5_6_6_3_g.html/BI/6633/KBID/7226/kw/SO200600G/DFF/d10-v2-t1-xSO200600G) (at 329mm) with the blazingly fast AF King, the Sony Alpha a9 II Mirrorless Digital camera body. (https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1509600-REG/sony_ilce9m2_b_alpha_a9_ii_mirrorless.html/BI/6633/KBID/7226/kw/SOA92/DFF/d10-v2-t1-xSOA92)ISO 2500. Exposure determined by Zebras with ISO on the rear wheel: 1/2000 sec. at f/6.3 in Manual mode. AWB at 2:01pm on a cloudy afternoon. Center Zone AF-C got the job done. According to Raw Digger, the area of sharpest focus was at the base of the near-wing right on the same plane as the bird’s eye. Raw Digger showed 0% overexposed and 0% underexposed pixels. Learning to use Zebras correctly with ISO on the rear dial makes getting the right exposure child’s play.

Baited with cut frozen fish.

It was great returning to Homer. Get in touch or see the blog if you would like to join me in Homer in 2021. Learn more about the creation of this image, see several other images from the trip in the Homer Variety and Exhilaration! blog post here (http://www.birdsasart-blog.com/2020/03/09/homer-variety-and-exhilaration/).

As for the image, don't be shy. All comments are welcome and appreciated.

with love, artie

David Roach
03-14-2020, 01:09 PM
Love the pose and the in focus BG(just enough to see texture) on this one. I'd say a vertical would work, but for me the ice is the secondary subject in this one and I love it as is. TFS

Andreas Liedmann
03-14-2020, 02:30 PM
Hi Arthur ... great dynamic pose and I do love the icy backdrop !!
I personally think the contrast is very slightly overdone ... just a hint backing off would do it for me .

A real issue for me is the landscape format ... eagle needs more space to dive into and the sharpening halo around the subject where the dark tones meet the icy backdrop .

Last but least for a better color presentation ... you need the profile embedded . The image has no color profile attached .

Still a great shot

TFS Andreas

gail bisson
03-14-2020, 04:36 PM
I love the frozen waterfall. Makes for such a unique shot. I would definitely keep the landscape orientation but add a bit more at the bottom if you have it.
Wonderful dynamic pose.
I would clone out the little spot about 2" inch above the eagle's elbow.
I like the hint of glacier green in the wings- normally I would say get rid of the "color cast" in the primaries but I like it here.
A really nice frame Artie!
Gail

annmpacheco
03-14-2020, 05:06 PM
This is so very unique Artie, well done. I saw this on your blog and had to put on a sweater, brrrhhhh, hahha. The awe factor is big here, the glacier, the colors, the texture, the dive, and the detailed powerful eagle. How bout a vertical ?

arash_hazeghi
03-14-2020, 05:07 PM
very unique frame Artie, especially the frozen ice BG, image is sharp and has good details too. It's always great to shoot eagles at close range , the colors look great on my 4K NEC monitor and I would not change a thing. You nailed this one

cheers and satay safe

arash_hazeghi
03-14-2020, 05:12 PM
PS. this one is a print

dankearl
03-14-2020, 05:47 PM
Seriously, the old master is back... Pretty stunning!
(I should say, never went away).

Colin Driscoll
03-15-2020, 03:06 AM
Outstanding, love it. Technically spot on and I can feel the action. Wonderful.

Jonathan Ashton
03-15-2020, 04:31 AM
What an amazing shot, it is really something special, wonderful details, the pose of the eagle grips me - no pun intended, I constantly look at the beak the eye the talons, then round again..and then the wonderful detail in the ice. I agree with the comments regarding a print - yes a big one!

Randy Stout
03-15-2020, 07:12 AM
Artie:

Spectacular moment captured, Action, drama, unique background. I could see a vertical version if you have material below, although the ice wall in itself is fun to look at in the landscape format. Wish he had washed his tail feathers a bit better however. Perhaps ran out of TP

Randy

Daniel Cadieux
03-15-2020, 10:25 AM
Oh boy this is a beauty! I agree with Gail about that one spot, but all else is excellent. One of my new faves from you. I agree with Arash: it would look great hung alongside your other canvas prints in your guest room. You must be pretty happy with this frame!

Bill Dix
03-15-2020, 10:26 AM
I followed your Homer blog posts with interest and envy, and I think this was my favorite of all of your shots. The dynamic dive pose is super, but for me it is the frozen waterfall that makes this one. So I would keep the landscape format, and maybe add a bit more beneath if you have it.

Mike Poole
03-15-2020, 11:21 AM
Ditto all the above positives. Te combination of pose, backdrop and detail added to a simply stunning bird make this - IMHO - the best frame I've seen from you in a long time

Mike

John Mack
03-15-2020, 04:23 PM
Not your typical bald eagle image you see. Looks great. The framing is right on. Detail is there as well. Love the pose with a nice view of those talons.

Ivan Sjogren
03-15-2020, 05:47 PM
Really, really impressed with this on Arthur!

Highly artistic and very well executed. The colors and the details in the ice makes for a great background and the eagle itslef looks great.

No nits.

Krishna Prasad kotti
03-22-2020, 03:43 AM
Beautiful and Sharp