PDA

View Full Version : Spring is on the way!

Jonathan Ashton
03-08-2020, 11:16 AM
A stealthy approach and wait a few minutes, and there you go! Image taken in the back garden.

Olympus : E-M1X
Lens focal length : 420 mm
Focal length in 35 mm film : 841.0mm
Metering mode : Pattern
Shutter speed : 1/500 sec
Aperture : F8
Exposure mode : Manual exposure
ISO : 640
Exposure bias : -0.7 EV
Flash : OFF

ACR + PSCC

Gabriela Plesea
03-08-2020, 12:39 PM
Cute, very cute! :bg3:Although when they leave the pond and come to croak by my bedroom window I don't find them so cute:t3

Interesting behavioural capture Jon, and the OOF 'onlookers' add interest. Are those eggs with embryos, in the FG?

Really cool capture, I just find that very bright leaf at the top a bit distracting. Overall colours look good to me, nice POV and what fun pose from the two protagonists, love those eyes!

Warmest regards,

Jonathan Ashton
03-08-2020, 04:13 PM
Thanks Gabriela, yes i thought one frog was averting it's gaze whilst the other was a voyeur! That is spawn, just laid yesterday/ day befoer , they are still spawning now, quite noisy about it too! The weed at the top I agree not ideal.

Gabriela Plesea
03-09-2020, 12:02 PM
A fun image, as soon as I saw it I immediately thought of Andrew McLachlan, I am sure he would appreciate this:S3:

Marc Mol
03-09-2020, 11:52 PM
Having any type of amphibian, especially frogs are always a good sign of a healthy environment, so all kudos to you Jon in cultivating such! :5

Agree the lumo green BG isn't ideal but overall the colours and comp work very well.
Nicely seen

TFS

Cheers
Marc

Jonathan Ashton
03-10-2020, 07:07 AM
Having any type of amphibian, especially frogs are always a good sign of a healthy environment, so all kudos to you Jon in cultivating such! :5

Agree the lumo green BG isn't ideal but overall the colours and comp work very well.
Nicely seen

TFS

Cheers
Marc

Thank you Marc, now I have to keep an eye out for the heron, he seems to be keen on my frogs..... and the ducks seem to like the spawn and I have noticed the blackbirds enjoy the odd tadpole or two!

John Mack
03-10-2020, 07:35 PM
Neat image for sure. Not something you usually see on here. The reflection is great. Neat to see all those eggs. Which will become tadpoles. Image quality looks quite nice.

haseeb badar
03-12-2020, 12:51 AM
Hi Jon -- This looks like a beautiful scene. I liked the colours and the bubbles in the scene and the eyes of the frogs have come out nicely. Agree on the green part in the bkg , quite distracting I must say.

Otherwise , I really liked this image, pretty nicely done.

TFS !

Steve Kaluski
03-12-2020, 04:08 AM
Hi Jon, the garden is proving to be a good source of material for you.

For me it just lacks that bit of overall 'definition', the eggs just have a 'milkiness' to them and that yellow in the BKG is rather distracting. At f/8 I would have expected more DoF based on the kit???

TFS
Steve

PS hope Pam is doing better now. :wave:

Jonathan Ashton
03-13-2020, 03:40 AM
Hi Jon, the garden is proving to be a good source of material for you.

For me it just lacks that bit of overall 'definition', the eggs just have a 'milkiness' to them and that yellow in the BKG is rather distracting. At f/8 I would have expected more DoF based on the kit???

TFS
Steve

PS hope Pam is doing better now. :wave:

Hi Steve good to hear from you! The eggs/spawn are milky at various stages of development, it is as a result of water absorption. Initially they are much smaller then they swell and become cloudy then they gradually clear. Some become addled in which case they do not clear. The limited DOF is due to magnification, long lens (841mm equivalent) short distance say about 6-8 feet max.
It is also possible that the lowest part of the image may be seen through green grass, hence the green haze.
The good news so far the spawn is still there in quantity, the ducks haven't eaten it..... yet. The tadpoles are out in my friends pond but for some reason his are always about 3 weeks ahead of mine.