PDA

View Full Version : Dunlin (Calidris alpina)

Jonathan Ashton
03-07-2020, 04:57 PM
It was a dull windy miserable morning when I took Barney out, I debated should I take my camera or not. Well if you don't take it I won't get an image is what I concluded. About 1/2 mile down the beach from where I live I spotted this dunlin. I approached looking askance and sat down on a rock, luckily Barney stayed out of the way sniffing seaweed. I took a few images and thought the bird was rather obliging, he didn't wander far and wasn't too hung up about me pointing the camera at him. When I got home and processed the images I noticed he had been injured, some of the feathers seem to be missing and I think there is a hint of blood on his side.

Hand held
Olympus : E-M1X
Lens focal length : 600 mm
Focal length in 35 mm film : 1202.0mm
Metering mode : Pattern
Shutter speed : 1/640 sec
Aperture : F8
Exposure mode : Manual exposure
ISO : 1000
Exposure bias : 0 EV

ACR + PSCC

Randy Stout
03-07-2020, 08:01 PM
Jon:

Good shooting angle. Raised foot with slight blur to indicate the motion.

Wish the grasses in front weren't quite to close/prominent.

There is a green cast to the image.

Agree about always taking the camera with you!

Cheers

Randy

gail bisson
03-08-2020, 06:58 AM
Poor little thing.
The color palette of the image sure shows us the dull dreary day you had.
I like the grasses but wish for a touch of a head turn and a bit more SS to freeze the raised foot,
Gail

Jonathan Ashton
03-08-2020, 09:46 AM
Thanks Randy, Gail, I appreciate your comments, I did in fact get previous/subsequent images addressing you reservations but the eye wasn't just so sharp.

John Mack
03-09-2020, 02:55 PM
Raised foot is nice. Wish the bird had a little more separation between the foot and the grasses.