PDA

View Full Version : Golden jackal (Canis aureus)

Jonathan Ashton
02-27-2020, 04:34 PM
Hand held, first glance may give the impression the face is over-sharpened but I think the fur may be partly damp.

Olympus E-M1X
Metering mode : Pattern
Exposure program : Manual
Shutter speed : 1/200 sec
Aperture : F5.6
ISO 2000
Exposure bias : 0 EV
Lens focal length : 420 mm
Focal length in 35 mm film : 841.0mm

ACR + PSCC

I may have posted a similar one previously this is a slightly different version

Gabriela Plesea
02-28-2020, 01:47 PM
Hello Jon,

Well captured, and thank you for sharing! Great pose from this golden jackal and I love the direct stare. As well as POV.

Face does not seem over-sharpened to me at all. Colours look natural, nice detail in that 'golden' coat, I just feel the image is slightly underexposed?

At first I wondered about the central placement of the subject within the frame - but I think it works as is, Jon. BG looks great, I like the foliage and deep greens, also the mushy FG.

Been wondering about the size of this golden jackal, in comparison with our scrawny little black-backed and side-striped jackals...And curious to know more, I'll do some reading tonight:S3:

Kind regards,

Jonathan Ashton
02-28-2020, 04:17 PM
Thanks Gabriela the lighting was cloudy with the occasional shaft of light, I placed it there because there was a large open pale area of sky and trees top right. Glad you like the colours, previously I had a few issues. I added a tiny bit of contrast to the jackal, it appeared quite pale and almost washed out.

Andreas Liedmann
02-29-2020, 12:52 AM
Hi Jon ... a nice jackal shot .
I do like the pose of the jackal and the overall image design ... just 50/50 on the central placement .
You have nice details and sharpness in the subject .... think the head is slightly softer than the rump ??!! Where was the FP ?
Colors are looking better i think .... still having a sort of looking the same across the color range ???? Might be just me ... seen the jackals myself !!

Nice one Jon

TFS Andreas

John Mack
02-29-2020, 09:15 AM
Nice you caught this jackal before it headed into those woods. The framing is alright i could see it cropped from the bottom and the right some. Detail looks pretty good here. Maybe just bump up the exposure a tad.