PDA

View Full Version : Wigeon x Mallard Hybrid

John Mack
02-26-2020, 06:13 PM
Baited. This image was created at the infamous wall of shame on Oakley St. in Cambridge, Maryland on 2/9/19 at 12:09PM. Image processed in Lightroom and Photoshop.

Hand held, Small crop.

Canon 5D MarkIII
Canon 500 f/4 IS USM
ISO 400
f4.0
1/5000sec

Randy Stout
02-26-2020, 07:06 PM
John:

Quite an interesting looking bird! Great shooting angle, well exposed, perfect head angle. I watched a little video of this place, and what a challenge it must be to get a clean shot like the ones you have been posting.
How many photographers show up on an average day?

Cheers

Randy

Alex Becker
02-26-2020, 07:54 PM
Cool looking bird and nice low POV, details, and EXP. Might be tempted to clone out the lower catchlight. This spot is definitely in the back of my mind for next year! TFS

Aditya Sridhar
02-26-2020, 08:45 PM
Really cool, John! Technically perfect, but if you have the room, more space on the RHS would aid composition. If I lived in NA, I'd be itching to visit this place!

Jonathan Ashton
02-27-2020, 09:14 AM
That's a real gem! Probably your best duck to date, I had a good look in the dark tail feathers and the area in the head - super detail coming through. I also like the tiny water droplets on the bill and on the back and head. Regarding the second catchlight, I confess in previous times I would have said remove it but now I ask - why? - it's naturally there, it was there, it's fine for me.

John Mack
02-27-2020, 04:07 PM
How many photographers show up on an average day?

About 15-20 when i was there. Large groups of birders came throughout the day as well.

Daniel Cadieux
02-28-2020, 02:28 PM
Great hybrid duck! Very sharp, nice colours. I bet you were happy to see it clear of the others...although I do see some repeating patterns behind it...parts of another individual removed?

John Mack
02-28-2020, 05:33 PM
I bet you were happy to see it clear of the others...although I do see some repeating patterns behind it...parts of another individual removed?

Thanks Daniel, Removed a mallard bill dead center on the right. Nothing is cloned behind the bird.