PDA

View Full Version : White-faced Heron

Paul Burdett
02-25-2020, 01:46 AM
One that you either like or dislike I guess. I was panning with this shot but even though I was not at full zoom I ended up with not much room at either ends of the frame, so I added some canvas to both ends in PS. I know it's usual to have more room for the bird to "fly into", but I'm quite happy that I was able to get it all in frame.
7Dii, 100-400@340mm, 1/3200th sec, f5.6, iso800, manual mode, HH. Cheers.

Randy Stout
02-25-2020, 08:15 AM
Paul:

Well exposed, like the background, nice color match of flowers to feet. Good job on canvas addition.

He is angled slightly away. As you mentioned, the crop is rather snug for BIF. I think if he had been angled towards us a bit, it might have helped with that impression.

Cheers

Randy

Stu Bowie
02-25-2020, 11:53 AM
Hi Paul, Herons are fairly large subjects, so you did well to get him in the frame, even though you have added canvas. Good show of the feather detail on the near wing, and agree, a better HA would have taken this up a few notches.

Daniel Cadieux
02-25-2020, 12:04 PM
It can be a discipline to zoom out wider at the time of unexpected action! Yes to being tight in the frame, and to the bird angling away if ever so slightly. You still did well to get it in clean habitat, and with sharp details on the face. Do you have a comparable frame with the wings lowered even more?

John Mack
02-25-2020, 02:43 PM
Neat looking heron. Agree wiht the other comments already.

Alex Becker
02-25-2020, 04:36 PM
A little tight as mentioned but I like the habitat and flowers in the BG. Pano crop works well for me. Settings look good and love the clear look at the trailing feet. TFS

Paul Burdett
02-26-2020, 01:15 AM
Thanks everyone for the feedback...much appreciated.
Daniel: I'll check if there's one with lower wings.