PDA

View Full Version : Snow Goose

Krishna Prasad kotti
02-21-2020, 05:51 PM
I made this image in Bosque Del Apache after Sunset.

Camera Settings:-
===============
Nikon D850 600 f/4
Info 1/200s f/4.0 ISO8000

Manual; Matrix metering

Post Processing:-
===============
Raw Processing using C1P 20
No Cropping
]Neat Image NR
Sharpening for Presentation
Cloned another bird left side of image.

Let me know your thoughts and comments.

Thanks
Krishna

John Mack
02-21-2020, 06:30 PM
Image quality looks pretty good for the high ISO. I'm not sure on the framing maybe crop tighter. But i guess you would loose the color on the bottom.

David Roach
02-21-2020, 09:32 PM
Oooh, I really love this one. Soo painterly and the narrow DOF totally works for me. The balance, even in the pose, just seems to work well. TFS

Colin Driscoll
02-21-2020, 10:06 PM
I love the overall effect of the soft colorful background and the narrow dof on the bird.
As posted I wish for just a better look at the bird's head but I think it would make a wonderful large print.

Dorian Anderson
02-22-2020, 09:56 AM
Yes, the image does have a very painterly quality, and you did incredibly well to get the focus point right on the head of this speedy subject. That said, there are three points I want to address. First, the blurred
wings are a big problem for me as they make the image look like a grab shot rather than something deliberately composed. I see you had no light, so the shutter and DOF combined to make this an uphill struggle.
Second, for these shots to work, the bird had to be coming dead-straight at you to generate symmetry. Lastly, I see you wanted to keep that beautiful red stripe across the bottom of the frame, but doing so has
rendered the subject smaller and with less impact. I would have packed up once my I needed to push my settings this far, but then again I'm not very creative with the camera. So, I applaud the effort to get something
different, and I hope this long critique has given you something to think about it you give this another go!

Krishna Prasad kotti
02-22-2020, 05:04 PM
Yes, the image does have a very painterly quality, and you did incredibly well to get the focus point right on the head of this speedy subject. That said, there are three points I want to address. First, the blurred
wings are a big problem for me as they make the image look like a grab shot rather than something deliberately composed. I see you had no light, so the shutter and DOF combined to make this an uphill struggle.
Second, for these shots to work, the bird had to be coming dead-straight at you to generate symmetry. Lastly, I see you wanted to keep that beautiful red stripe across the bottom of the frame, but doing so has
rendered the subject smaller and with less impact. I would have packed up once my I needed to push my settings this far, but then again I'm not very creative with the camera. So, I applaud the effort to get something
different, and I hope this long critique has given you something to think about it you give this another go!

Thank you for the critique. I appreciate it.

I wanted to get painterly feel to the image, with bird relatively small in the frame and hence the image design.