PDA

View Full Version : Zebra portrait

Andreas Liedmann
02-21-2020, 02:45 PM
Hi folks ... another tritone image .
As you can see have chosen , slightly different color for the conversion .
Image of this zebra taken in South Luangwa NP in Zambia .
Hope you like it ... but i am very open to your opinions and feedback .

Canon EOS 1Dx
EF 500 IS L II + 1,4 TC III
Beanbag

F 8 ; Iso 5000; 1/2000 sec ; auto iso and man exp .... and just for Jon ... ETTR at it's best :w3 . Looked only at the histogram on the back of the camera ...

Processed with DPP 4 and PSCC 2020 ; Tritone conversion

Thanks for looking and commenting to my last posting

Cheers Andreas

Randy Stout
02-21-2020, 04:07 PM
Andreas;

They are amazing looking creatures, as if a graphic artist was turned loose on a mule! They are a natural for this type of post processing tx, and you did it well,

The comp. work well, but I could see a version with a bit more room on both sides, so you can see a bit more of the neck and balance it with more space on the right. Personal taste. really.

Cheers

Randy

Jonathan Ashton
02-21-2020, 04:32 PM
Very sharp and it instantly engages the viewer. The contrast is deliberately high, it appeals to me. At the same time i wonder if more detail would be present in the darks with a different treatment, and that of course would not be the aim of this particular image I presume. I quite like it but at the same time I think I would like to see a little less density in the blacks. Sorry that's me - no artistic imagination!

Andreas Liedmann
02-21-2020, 04:58 PM
Hi Randy and Jon , thanks for your feedback . Much apprecaited .
Randy ... sorry that i did not say that is full width , no more room on both sides . Agree with you about the crop

Jon ... no problem . More detail is there in the file , but got lost on the way :bg3: ... but it was the goal to have an artistic approach .

Gabriela Plesea
02-23-2020, 12:05 PM
Hello Andreas,

Arty indeed, and killer BG by the way. Nice DoF, subject sharp, good HA, framing works for me.

At first I found this a bit too contrasty. But after looking and pondering for a while I figured out what really bothered me: I wished the white part of the ear wasn't so bright...would you consider toning down that area a bit?

Your playfulness with those conversions show that you love a new challenge. Hope you keep experimenting and having fun, Boetie - thank you for sharing!

Kind regards,

Andreas Liedmann
02-23-2020, 01:00 PM
Thanks Gabriela , for your comment .

Hear what you saying ... about the ear . I am not sharing your thoughts , sorry . For two reasons ... first it would look odd for my eyes if all whites are very bright , and just the ear toned down . Second is the technical approach of this technique .... you have one layer to work on and one channel , so no options for working locally . You can ... after converting back to RGB .
Why that is .... ask MR Google :w3

Cheers Andreas

Gabriela Plesea
02-23-2020, 01:46 PM
I do understand your point, Andreas. Just find my eyes drawn to that area every time I view. Suppose you could - if you wanted to - make the adjustment before conversion. There's lots of detail there, and some darker fur closer to the R edge of the ear.

Oh never mind, it's not a big issue, just thought I'd mention it. I like the image overall, and really impressed with the way the zebra stands out against that BG - did you do any NR at all? It's nice and smooth:)

Andreas Liedmann
02-23-2020, 03:25 PM
Not working .... your suggestion !!!

As the routine is completely different what you are used to

NR ... yes , as you push things hard during process

Gabriela Plesea
02-23-2020, 03:51 PM
No worries, Boetie, I understand:w3
Have a great week, and let us see some more of your experiments :cheers:

haseeb badar
02-24-2020, 08:23 AM
Hi Andreas -- This rather not feel like an experimental shot. Looks like a proper BW portrait, nice details and a lovely BKG , making the subject standout. A great subject for BW conversion because of its already BW stripes and the patterns thery create. I am really pleased with this image.

Nice one, TFS !

Andreas Liedmann
02-26-2020, 02:36 PM
Thanks Haseeb for your comment ....