PDA

View Full Version : "Here's Johnny..."

Steve Kaluski
02-16-2020, 05:53 AM
We found this guy searching the pack ice for seals about a quarter of a mile away, again taking our time to approach, perhaps 30-45 mins not wishing to spook or harass he changed direction and came to us.

Thanks to those who posted or viewed on the last posting.

Steve

Subject: Polar bear (Ursus maritimus)
Camera: Canon 1DX MKII
Lens: 500f/4 MKII HH
Exposure: 1/1600s at f/5.6 ISO5000
Original format: Landscape, slight crop.
Processed via: LRCC & PS2020

Gabriela Plesea
02-16-2020, 04:45 PM
Superb POV and pose from this Bear, Steve.

Love the eye contact! As well as composition/image design:w3 Very nice detail ( subject, as well as FG) and sharpness is there in good measure.

Colours look natural and I notice you've retained a bit of that blue from the ice in the FG. Really like the 3D feel of this frame which I think partially due to the way in which you played with colours...as well as your choice of DoF.

Hope some day I will have an opportunity to see and photograph Polar Bears... you make it look so easy but I am sure it would be quite a challenge :tinysmile_shy_t:

I so enjoyed viewing, thank you so much for sharing,

Warmest regards,

haseeb badar
02-17-2020, 01:42 AM
This is another belter. Excellent field work, terrific details and lovely shooting angle as well. Very nicely done in terms of framing, exposure, and PP work.

What a fine image Steve.

And like Gabriela, I too wish to see this specie live and have some photography opportunities.

TFS !

Steve Kaluski
02-17-2020, 03:57 AM
Thanks folks, the blue was quite evident on this trip, the main issue is retaining 'lock on' because of how AF works.

And like Gabriela, I too wish to see this specie live and have some photography opportunities.

We were very lucky, Loi who I think you know wasn't and it can be 'hit or miss', so get the main subjects you want to photograph first, then do the PB's. And when you do I will give you everything you need to know, and ETTR is key, irrespective of what you see on the LCD screen, it's the Histogram.

Sanjeev Aurangabadkar
02-17-2020, 01:12 PM
Thanks Steve, what a great frame. Love the head-0n pose, the eye contact, the super details and pleasing comp. I too would love to do PB sometime. This and the Katmai for brown bears are on my Wishlist.

Andreas Liedmann
02-17-2020, 01:21 PM
Hi Steve .... he was coming to get you !!!
A very intense moment , i guess . Love the walking pose with the paw lifted and fixating the lens !!!
High class out put as usual with a great tonal range and the subtle blue creeping in , in LRC !
Just for curiosity .... surprised to see that good DOF for the aperture ??!!! Do you remember the FP point ?
Glad you got these great opportunities with the PB , i had the same as Loi ..... nothing even close to that !!!!

Thanks a big bunch for sharing this nice image . Cheers Andreas

Steve Kaluski
02-18-2020, 03:47 AM
Do you remember the FP point ?

Based on the grid 16 sq/21 portrait/16sq, the FP was top left of the RH block, single point on the right eye as viewed.

John Mack
02-20-2020, 04:25 PM
Polar bear! Nice eye contact with this one. Like the setting as well. Detail looks great.