PDA

View Full Version : Motif: Backlit Poppy

Gail Spitler
07-03-2008, 03:47 PM
I am really enjoying the first assignment. I haven't done a lot of backlit images; at least, not on purpose. Many of the images have an amazing aura about them. This image seemed quite dramatic, so I hope domesticated flowers are an acceptable subject for the assignment.
Your comments are much appreciated, especially as this all is quite experimental for me.
Thanks for looking
Gail

Canon 40D with EF 100mm f/2.8 macro, aperture priority at f/4, 1/2500 sec, Eval Metering with 0 compensation, ISO 500

Harold Davis
07-03-2008, 06:21 PM
hi gail!! i stared at this one for a few minutes. first thought, would have liked to have seen it vertical to include more of the stem. secondly, it looks a little hot around the edges. i do like how the one petal is torn allowing a view inside. and maybe you could tone down those hotspots.

Alfred Forns
07-03-2008, 06:24 PM
Great first motif image !!!!!! .... and the crowd goes Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh :cool::cool::cool::cool:

I like the way you controlled the light and its feel I think framing the flower differently would work even better. Think as if you are making a regular front lit image for the set up ... then work on the light effects !!! Do like the dark bg !!! Can't wait for the next one !!!!

Harold Davis
07-03-2008, 06:26 PM
and what is this assignment??? and how did i miss it???!!!!

Gail Spitler
07-03-2008, 10:41 PM
Thanks guys. Excellent suggestions. I think I let the strength of the image carry the whole image rather than thinking about it as a complete image with all the necessary conditions (composition, exposure, sharpness...etc). All the regular techniques etc apply, it is just backlit as well.
Cheers
Gail

Oscar Zangroniz
07-03-2008, 11:26 PM
Check out the top of the thread !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:p:p:p :p:p:p

and what is this assignment??? and how did i miss it???!!!!