PDA

View Full Version : Ant with a Mouthful

KLindquist
01-09-2008, 03:36 PM
These tiny specimens were photographed in my south Florida backyard. The ant was scurrying about the leaf as if not sure what to do with his catch. The moth was still trying to fight and his scales were shedding off onto the ant.

I was trying to get a shot that showed the action and gave as much depth of field as possible. The lens is new so any comments on techniques on how best to use it is appreciated. Karen www.geocities.com/photosgonewild (http://www.geocities.com/photosgonewild)

Canon Rebel XT with 65mm macro lens
Manual mode, 1/40 sec., f/16, Twin macro flash

Alfred Forns
01-09-2008, 07:33 PM
Remember you can post larger if you wish Will be much easier to evaluate

For these little guys I find angle is important Shooting down on the ant will usually not do much Try getting on the side or front at eye level Not easy since they motor fast but give it a try

As presented might give a bit more room all around Seems tight in frame For dof try getting parallel to the bug about the only way Stopping down can only do so much At these distances the dof is minimal !!!

......btw if you send me your name will update the profile We are trying to get all full names Thanks

Jim Caldwell
01-12-2008, 03:11 PM
You did a great job trying to catch a difficult subject. Al has already given you some great suggestions, but I would like to add that you did a nice job with the even lighting and exposure. Your subject seems to be nicely focused, but a larger image would make it easier to tell.