PDA

View Full Version : Purple Sandpiper

Aditya Sridhar
01-24-2020, 05:46 AM
I finally had some heavy overcast yesterday, so I went back to photograph these sandpipers. The clouds meant that there were no harsh shadows or highlights in the scene, but unfortunately, it also rendered the water an ugly grey-green. Managing the colors was a very difficult task - the entire image had a green cast and I fixed it, but now I wonder if there's a magenta cast (my eyes are very tired so I can't tell). I chose not to stop down as the birds were never entirely stationary and I needed all the SS that I could get :bg3:

Camera - Nikon D850
Focal Length - 500mm
Aperture - f/5.6
Shutter Speed - 1/400s
ISO - 1600
Handheld
Manual, Auto ISO
~70% of Full-frame

As always, all comments & CC are appreciated :bg3:

gail bisson
01-24-2020, 06:40 AM
Nice low POV, tack sharp from tail to beak.
I do not see a magenta cast but perhaps a light pink in the FG?
I know it was dark and cloudy and understand you wanting to keep the image true to the light conditions but I would be tempted to increase the exposure globally by 1/3. That might help with color issues.
Very nice image of this sandpiper,
Gail

dankearl
01-24-2020, 10:40 AM
It does seem flat to me, maybe a bit more contrast and color?

John Mack
01-24-2020, 02:52 PM
The low angle is spot on. Nice framing as well. The background is another nice touch.

Paul Burdett
01-25-2020, 05:52 AM
Looks very good to me. Sharp, lovely detail on the bird. Doesn't look flat on my monitor. If it were mine I'd crop a little more off the bottom as the oof foreground is somewhat distracting. Cheers.

Giovanni Frescura
02-04-2020, 05:11 PM
I like it. the detail up are very ok