PDA

View Full Version : Sunrise or Moonrise?

Noel Carboni
07-03-2008, 01:55 PM
I visited Green Cay Wetland the other day, arriving before sunrise so as to take advantage of the magical first light, and to see all the birds and wildlife wake up.

As we had dust from the African Sahara desert flying high in the atmosphere, the sunrise was very pale, resembling a moonrise more than the break of day.

This image may appear a bit rotated, but the camera really was level. I think the slant gives it a bit of visual tension. What do you think?

-Noel

Roman Kurywczak
07-03-2008, 02:09 PM
Hi Noel,
I feel you did a very good job compositionally as you placed the sun in the ROT position. I find the soft shade pleasing but may play around a bit adding either a bit of warming filter or even more sepia. You may want to try and adjust the levels of the blacks also (about 12??).......I really find that silhouettes are better when they are jet black & detailless. Overall a very pleasing image that with a bit of tweaking can really stand out!
PS You may want to also try a local contrast adjustment of 30 on the amound and 30 radius with 0 on threshold.

Julie Kenward
07-03-2008, 09:14 PM
I totally agree with Roman. You're so close to sepia in the original, might as well try it. It's a beautifully composed image and all the tonal layers really are spectacular.

Robert Amoruso
07-06-2008, 06:16 PM
Nicely composed. I like how the expansive dark FG on the bottom balances so well with the sky at top. Atmospheric layering adds great depth to the image.