PDA

View Full Version : Large Hawk-Cuckoo (Thailand)

Dorian Anderson
01-19-2020, 02:11 AM
Presented mostly for education, the Large Hawk-Cuckoo ranges throughout Southeastern Asia where it inhabits montane forest and scrubby hillsides.

This frame was a fortuitous capture out my car window at Kaeng Krachan National Park. The bird looks like he just bathed in an adjacent puddle, and
I didn't have long with him as another car came along the road and pushed him off as I captured this frame.

The bird's body angle isn't perfect, but I'm into the look-back gaze and underwing view. This skulky bird is usually buried in canopy - and there aren't many decent
frames of it - so I was pretty thrilled with what is effectively a flight shot of this rarely-photographed passerine.

Edge-to-edge vertical cropped from horizontal, so no room at top or bottom.

Canon 600mm f/4 IS II + 1.4x III on EOS 5D4
1/1000 at f/5.6, ISO 1600
Processed in LR CC with only standard sliders

Randy Stout
01-19-2020, 08:37 AM
Dorian:

I like the stacked tail feathers, look back, soft background and soft light. Interesting perch.

I might be tempted to sharpen the head a bit more. Could also see a modest crop up from the bottom.

Cheers

Randy

Aditya Sridhar
01-19-2020, 10:39 AM
Given the circumstances, I think you've done very well. I agree with your self-critique re the body angle. The lighting's great and detail's very good. I think there's a slight green cast to the image. Nice shot, Dorian!

dankearl
01-19-2020, 11:50 AM
Another very cool bird, looks like a chicken.... I would sharpen and add contrast to the eye.

gail bisson
01-19-2020, 01:13 PM
Another great bird and new to me.
I think you did great under the circumstances and agree with Randy's critique 100%,
Gail

John Mack
01-19-2020, 05:00 PM
Neat looking bird here. Love that yellow eye. The background is killer. Better than nothing.

Dorian Anderson
01-19-2020, 08:03 PM
Dorian:

I like the stacked tail feathers, look back, soft background and soft light. Interesting perch.

I might be tempted to sharpen the head a bit more. Could also see a modest crop up from the bottom.

Cheers

Randy

Sadly, I this crop spans the entire frame so I can't take from the bottom without making a squarer crop. I have no interest in doing that or adding canvas above, so I'm stuck with this!

Colin Driscoll
01-19-2020, 11:39 PM
Great opportunistic capture. The profile is very similar to our OZ Pallid Cuckoo.
Good with the wings out and tail flared too.