PDA

View Full Version : Morro Bay Sunset

James Parker
07-03-2008, 11:49 AM
On my first motorcycle trip to the west coast I was pulling into the campground and saw this scene. Knowing I didn't have time to go to my site and back I just threw everything off the cycle grabbed my camera and shot away.

Hasselblad 500C (Negative scanned with coolpix 8000)
1/125s
F/5.6
40mm lens
ISO 160

Roman Kurywczak
07-03-2008, 02:22 PM
Hi James,
The colors in this are wonderful as is your subject matter. If I was there with you i would have definitely told you to aim more left and avoid the tree on the right as it is not a strong enough framing element. I would have also preferred less of the FG OOF twigs?? creeping into the water. Since we can't go back.........crop tool at the bottom to the upper dark shore and maybe a bit of clean up of the twig tips (Only if comfortable with such, otherwise crop) and a total removal of the RH tree silhouette. I find that paying attention to the small edge details in the landscape are just as important as is the main subject when it comes to the overall success of the final composition.

James Parker
07-03-2008, 04:02 PM
Roman, The negative was originally square and showed a great deal more of the trees to the right. The tree had the silioutte of birds in the branches and I rather liked that touch. Jim

Julie Kenward
07-03-2008, 09:16 PM
The colors and the sky in this are stunning. I agree with Roman on the little details but, overall, it works for me (minus that tree!)

Robert Amoruso
07-06-2008, 06:13 PM
I am going to agree with Roman. The tree and OOF FG is distracting in this crop. Colors and feel of the image wonderful. Cropping tighter to lose the FG and tree with strengthen the image.