PDA

View Full Version : Lesser Necklaced Laughingthrush

Dorian Anderson
01-11-2020, 10:12 AM
Here is the first of a series of shots collected from deep forest hides outside Kaeng Krachan National Park in Thailand.

Let's establish that shooting in these hides/circumstances is 100x harder than shooting set-ups in Costa Rica or Ecuador
1) You don't need a hide in the neotropics - most of the birds come right to lodge porch. They land on you in Brazil's Atlantic Rainforest!
2) The hides are all placed deep in the forest and under canopy. You must walk in a narrow, rocky trails. No shooting from the lodge porch, cocktail in hand.
3) There is very little light available, a solid 2 stops less than my experiences at neotropical set-ups
4) The is no compositional consideration given with respect to perches and shooting lines. I had to battle for clear shots and used the same perch repeatedly.
5) A wide variety of squirrels and shrews was constantly chasing birds off

So, these shots will not hold candle to what is possible in other places, but they will show you some different birds. I have attached a photo of the hide set-up.

Canon 600mm f/4 IS II on EOS 1DX2
1/250 at f/4, ISO 3200
Processed in LR CC with no trickery

Dorian Anderson
01-11-2020, 10:15 AM
hide view

kevin Hice
01-11-2020, 01:18 PM
Nice photo Dorian appreciate the information on the set up very interesting.I say you did very well. TFS

Jonathan Ashton
01-12-2020, 10:12 AM
It's a fine shot Doarian hide or no hide, the image is appealing or it isn't. It is very easy I agree to sit in hide and point a camera at a subject when it appears. is one thing...... a different cup of tea I can tell you in India!!! No hides no nothing just bad light and pollution - go get em boy!!
That aside I do like the image I take nothing from it but to me it does look like a set up, now whether that is right wrong or whatever people will have endless debate. I like it and you have give very clear detail and exposure and colour rendition. it's a fine shot well done.

gail bisson
01-12-2020, 10:49 AM
I always like to see a new bird. What a handsome guy/gal.
I really like the pose and the look back.
IQ is excellent.
I love the circular spots on the RHS of the frame.Nice BG.
Processing and NR are excellent.
It doesn't look like a set-up to me because the perch is rather ordinary. Were you not allowed to put up some perches of your own?
A very nice image,
Gail

Bill Dix
01-12-2020, 01:32 PM
It's a pleasing image regardless of the circumstances. Good alert pose, well exposed, nice background. All the more impressive given the conditions you describe. (Not that I object to the porch and cocktails.) Always good to see a new bird.

Dorian Anderson
01-12-2020, 04:32 PM
I always like to see a new bird. What a handsome guy/gal.
I really like the pose and the look back.
IQ is excellent.
I love the circular spots on the RHS of the frame.Nice BG.
Processing and NR are excellent.
It doesn't look like a set-up to me because the perch is rather ordinary. Were you not allowed to put up some perches of your own?
A very nice image,
Gail

There was no way to put swap or put up custom perches like in the Neotropics. Also, The only attractants are seed and water, both placed
on the ground. It's not like the Costa Rica where you can put the banana wherever you want the bird to go. None of the people who run the hides
speak a word of English, so communicating intent/suggestions is impossible. The birds are so spooky you can't go out and modify the perch as needed.
in some places in Colombia, I literally have to shoo the hummers off the array to change perches. It was just really, really, different!

William Dickson
01-12-2020, 06:02 PM
Looking real good, never seen one of these before.....what a great pose and IQ. Love the contrast. Nice one Dorian.

Will

Geoffrey Montagu
01-12-2020, 06:26 PM
Great looking bird, nicely cropped. Like the birds position on the perch, and the fine details.

Geoffrey

http://500px.com/geoffreymontagu (http://500px.com/geoffreymontagu)

Alex Becker
01-12-2020, 08:04 PM
Very cool shot of another species I've never seen before. Love the BTS shot. Light and colors look great. I love the orange HLs in the BG. They break up the green so well and compliment the bird. Sweet pose too. Perch is not the best ever but it doesn't bother me either. No real nits from me. TFS

John Mack
01-12-2020, 08:27 PM
Glad you included a view from your blind. Now i know where you were hiding out. Nice pose on the bird and the detail looks nice. Background is right on.

arash_hazeghi
01-13-2020, 01:18 AM
thanks for sharing this and the tips, cool bird!

Paul Burdett
01-14-2020, 08:12 PM
I think you're being too hard on yourself Dorian (although it's good that you have such high standards). I love this image...details, colour, pose, perch, BG...everything.