PDA

View Full Version : Flying Prairie Chicken

kevin Hice
01-09-2020, 03:30 PM
Shot this at National Grasslands Pierre Sd. Processed with Dpp 4,Photoshop,neat image. I processed this three times it had a green cast to it. I am trying to improve my Photoshop skills. Added some canvas to the left side.
I used a grey neutral point to rid the green cast and get more out of my midtones. Which have been lacking in the last few similar posts of Chickens.Thanks to Steve Kaluski for trying to help. Comments and critiques appreciated.
Canon 5D Mark 1V
500f/4 L Is
500 mm
Av
Iso 2500

John Mack
01-09-2020, 03:35 PM
Flying chicken for sure. I like the pano crop. Just wish the bird was higher in the frame. Nice and sharp with a good background.

Aditya Sridhar
01-09-2020, 04:38 PM
Very nice Kevin. I love the bird's pose. EXP looks spot-on and contrast is great. Nice detail as well. Composition is subjective, but personally, I would've used a more traditional 3:2 crop with the bird placed slightly higher in the frame.

Dorian Anderson
01-09-2020, 08:46 PM
Great action capture! The calling pose is great. I second the more traditional crop, and I would move the bird up in the frame regardless of which crop is used. The frame also seems very cold. I think it would benefit from a bit more yellow.

Krishna Prasad kotti
01-10-2020, 12:28 AM
Beautiful Capture. Good action

Agree with warming up the image.

Steve Kaluski
01-10-2020, 03:33 AM
Hi Kevin, a vast improvement with some simple tweaks, well done.

Position in frame is less than ideal and rather than adding canvas, if you have PSCC then this would be a simple fix. Once you have the correct colour balance you can then take the colour in which ever way you then feel to reflect the conditions. Hopefully with the simple change in settings, more accurate placement of the AF point(s), framing and sharpness will all then soon come into place. I will be in touch next week once I'm back.

Keep up the with the hard work.

Steve

Steve Kaluski
01-10-2020, 04:18 AM
Kevin, just to illustrate my point very quickly, less than 5 mins :w3, however you don't say if you have PSCC and without it you could not achieve this.

No need to crop hard and loose valuable data and where you retain you pixels. I just moved it to show what can be done, where you place it is down to you and so with the original hi res tiff everything would be perfect with no artefacts as such.

Joseph Przybyla
01-10-2020, 01:00 PM
Nice flight image, Kevin. Not familiar with the bird but it looks good to me. I really like the soft background. Thank you for sharing.

Bill Dix
01-10-2020, 05:43 PM
Nice flight capture and good BG. I second Dorian's several suggestions.