PDA

View Full Version : Tiger Leg Monkey Tree Frog

Stuart Dahne
07-03-2008, 10:05 AM
Tiger Leg Monkey Tree Frog ~ Phyllomedusa Hypochondrialis
The monkey frogs are a group of species of tree frogs (Phyllomedusa hypocondrialis, phyllomedusa sauvagii, etc.) which are characterized by long limbs and a lack of webbing between their toes. This last trait allows them to grasp branches and to climb trees in the manner of a monkey (thus the name).

This was shot with the 180 f/3.5 macro and there has been no crop, this is out of the camera. I would have LOVED him to have been looking at me, I even called him a few times but he just ignored me! I would have LOVED a little more room also however these guys are very nocturnal and to get any movement at all at the moment that I happened to be there to shoot was impressive to me. I also liked the diagonal orientation and was moving as quick as I could to capture it. I only got 2 shots off and then he was just another frog sitting on a branch, this one was the only good one.
Thanks Again!
I will have a talk with him next time and try to get him to smile for the camera!

Julie Kenward
07-03-2008, 01:54 PM
Suart, you seem to have this down! I would have liked to have seen a little more room around this guy - not much more, just a little bit - but I totally buy your reasons. What a cool frog! The one thing I'd take another look at is that back leg on the far side - not sure it really adds to the composition. Maybe consider cloning it out so all the emphasis stays on the long, lean tiger leg? Just my opinion...

Great BG and you nailed the focus! Great job!

Roman Kurywczak
07-03-2008, 03:36 PM
Hi Stuart,
Bummer on the head looking towards you........and let me know how the conversation goes with the frog........I can then use it on many other un-cooperative subjects. Your self critique pretty much hits the nail on the head but I hope you have some more attempts at this because as far as frogs go.......this one looks great.

Chris Ober
07-03-2008, 05:48 PM
Cool specimen and pose. I like the composition too and agree on a little more room. It looks like it has too much sharpening and I'd like a little more DOF to bring the back into focus more.

Kaushik Balakumar
07-06-2008, 06:35 AM
Lovely looking specimen. How high from the ground was this fellow...?