View Full Version : Goldeneye

William Dickson
01-07-2020, 05:07 PM
Canon 1DX Mk2
f/4 400mm DO Mk2 with 2x iii
f/8
1/800
ISO 1000

These ducks come from Scandinavia and about a dozen of them frequent and roost at the local harbour. This is one I captured from my usual perch in amongst the rocks at the harbour entrance. The colours in the BG were caused by the sun striking the harbour wall. Handheld. PS 2020.

Will

Bill Dix
01-07-2020, 05:46 PM
Very nice pose and I love the green iridescence of the head. Whites may be borderline toasty, but beautiful light.

gail bisson
01-07-2020, 07:54 PM
You have nice light and a nice POV.The iridescence on the head is well shown.
The whites are hot and it doesn't look like they can be recovered.
Did you run some NR on the duck? Feathers on the head seem smoothed out.

Joseph Przybyla
01-08-2020, 08:22 AM
Beautiful bird, love the eye. I agree with Gail regarding a couple areas in the whites. Sometimes you can patch or clone those areas in Photoshop with good results. Thank you for sharing, Will.

William Dickson
01-08-2020, 10:27 AM
Thanks for the comments guys, appreciated. The whites are not blown, and I didn't want them to look greyish. I suppose i could have toned them down a little. Yes, to a little NR on the head of the bird Gail. The problem I have is that I cannot get the sun directly behind me at this time of the year, because of limitations of where I can take the shots from. As you can see the light is coming from our right. I'll have to try when there is some white cloud. Or, try somewhere else for these lovely ducks.

Will

John Mack
01-08-2020, 02:56 PM
Love that eye and the green sheen on the head. Framing looks quite nice as well. Light was sweet.

Dorian Anderson
01-08-2020, 08:05 PM
Nice view of this male. I agree there are hot patches - particularly on the neck - and the sun angle is an issue for me as well. I hear you about the light angle; there's only so much you can do from land, unless you get a kayak! A lower angle would
also help him stand out more against the waves, but I understand land is often limiting in that respect as well.