PDA

View Full Version : Pick Up Sticks...

Joseph Przybyla
01-01-2020, 08:43 AM
I captured this image of a Purple Gallinule climbing the stalks of the Fire Flag plant to feed on the blossoms. The image reminds me of a game I used to play in my younger years. One took a bunch of straight sticks threw them into a pile and tried to remove them one at a time without disturbing or moving the others. Things were simpler then. Image captured at Circle B Bar Reserve in Polk County, Florida. Comments and critique welcomed and appreciated. Thank you for viewing.

Nikon D500
Nikon 80-400mm F/4.5-5.6 VRII AF-S ED, image captured at 400mm
1/2000 F/8 Matrix Metering EV +2/3 ISO 2000 Auto 1 WB, camera supported by a monopod
Post processed in Lightroom Classic, Photoshop CC 2020 and Neat Image for noise reduction, toned down a few specular highlights on the feet using the Paint Brush at 20% opacity in Photoshop
Cropped from a 2x3 to 4x5 for composition and presentation, also to eliminate distractions in the background

P.S. Learn more about Circle B Bar Reserve, the Purple Gallinule and the Fire Flag plant in the BAA Middle Florida Photography Site Guide that Artie and I co-authored. It is available on the Birds As Art Online Store.

David Roach
01-01-2020, 09:35 AM
Yepper, I remember that game, Joe. A classic of this beauty in typical environment. I would back off the sharpening just a little as it looks like it came off the sensor tack sharp. TFS

kevin Hice
01-01-2020, 01:19 PM
Joe beautiful bird and image. I would agree with the sharpening. Does look a bit over done.More so on the back. TFS

Bill Dix
01-02-2020, 01:30 PM
Good title and great look at this striking specialty of Circle B. Sharpening looks OK on my screen.

John Mack
01-02-2020, 03:22 PM
Nice view of this gallinule. The colors of the bird match the green vegetaion wonderfully. Looks sharp to me.