PDA

View Full Version : Double-barred Finch

Paul Burdett
12-29-2019, 11:54 PM
What does one do when one is nursing a torn calf muscle and missing going out birding? One edits a photo taken recently. The perch is not great but I'm happy with this one. Basic editing in acr and then distractions removed in Photoshop. Happy new year to everyone...looking forward to a productive year of birding. Cheers:S3:
7Dii, 100-400@371mm, 1/1600th sec, f5.6 iso500 HH. (Should have used a smaller aperture for more dof in the feet and tail)

David Roach
12-30-2019, 12:03 AM
HNY right back at you, Paul and here's a wish for a swift recovery. Wonderfully SH right where it needs to be and a lovely BG. The perch is what it is but I decided I even like the green swirl in the BG as it helps frame the handsome subject. Might slightly desat the green though. TFS

Paul Burdett
12-30-2019, 12:08 AM
Hi David..Thank you for the "speedy" reply and kind words. Two weeks since the injury playing squash...still some bruising, but all healing slowly. I'll try desaturating the green. Cheers.

Colin Driscoll
12-30-2019, 01:42 AM
A nice reminder of one of my favorite birds. Given your unfortunate impediment I'm not going to be picky.
Happy New Year to you and yours, and look forward to some more shots after you can get back out.

Paul Burdett
12-30-2019, 01:55 AM
Thanks Colin...feel free to be picky...I can see some things I'm not so happy with in the photo, such as the oof feet and tail. Cheers.

Ian McLachlan
12-30-2019, 02:02 AM
Very handsome this finch.I really like the pose and the background .The green sort of frames it as well. I s sharp--sharp as David says where it matters.HNY as well.

Paul Burdett
12-30-2019, 07:29 AM
Hi Ian. Many thanks...and HNY to you and yours too.

Daniel Cadieux
12-30-2019, 09:47 AM
The perch could be better, I agree. I am OK with the depth-of-filed as the bird is sharp where it needs to be. WIth that body angle no amount of stopping down would get the full tail sharp anyhow, and you would only introduce more distractions from the background. I would likely perform some eye work here to get rid of the extra reflections, but that needs to be very fine precision work to avoid having the eye look unnatural.

Happy New Year to you as well, and here's to a speedy recovery!

Bill Dix
12-30-2019, 11:44 AM
Nice looking bird. I like the green bg framing him. I also noticed an opportunity for a little eye doctor work. Best wishes for a speedy return to the field, and a Happy 2020!

John Mack
12-30-2019, 02:51 PM
Happy New Year to you as well. Nice pose on the bird. The perch is what it is. But boy what a neat looking finch. The bird is nice and sharp on the eye.

Paul Burdett
12-30-2019, 03:23 PM
Thanks so much Daniel, Bill & John. I appreciate the feedback and kind words. Can't wait for some cooler weather and to fire the shutter button again! Cheers.

gail bisson
01-04-2020, 10:07 AM
Bird is great.
Too bad he wasn't on a nicer perch.
Sorry to hear about your torn calf muscle- what a bummer. Hope you are well away from the awful fires.
Gail

Paul Burdett
01-04-2020, 04:11 PM
Hi Gail. Thank you for the feedback. My calf has healed nicely, but maybe a little while before I hit the squash court...not sure the best time to start playing again?
We're not near the fires thankfully, but yes, it's not a good situation for so many out there.
Looking forward to more of your amazing photos. Cheers.