PDA

View Full Version : Kaki (Black stilt). The rarest shorebird in the world.

gail bisson
12-27-2019, 08:15 AM
This is probably my most special image of 2019.
While in New Zealand I hoped to see this bird in the wild. There are only 138 adults in the wild and currently there are 8 pairs in captivity at the Kaki Recovery Center in Twizel.
They have had a banner year and are currently incubating ~78 eggs. The population is intensively managed and most of the eggs from the wild birds are retrieved (found by special sniffer dog) and taken to the recovery center.
They are raised at the Kaki Recovery Center until 9 months of age, when they are released back into the wild. The mortality rate of the juvies is about 30-40% due to predators (cats, stoats, black-backed gulls) but New Zealand has an intensive predator eradication program covering thousands of hectares in the Twizel/Lake Tekapo area and everyone is hopeful the mortality rate will decrease.
Not only was I lucky enough to find a pair of kaki near Lake Tekapo I was able to observed and photograph them mating. Talk about "priceless sex". This encounter is definitely my most magical moment for 2019.
I know the bands will bother some, but there is not a single kaki that is unbanded. I look at it as a special badge of honor.
Canon 1DX 600mm v3 and 1.4 x extender v 3
F6.3 ISO 1600 SS 1/1250
Crop to 75% FF Nothing added or cloned. Luminosity mask used to decrease highlights in the water.
Comments and critiques always appreciated and learned from with thanks.
Wishing everyone a Happy New Year and I am looking forward to enjoying everyone's images in 2020!
Gail

dankearl
12-27-2019, 09:51 AM
Fantastic. the photograph and the birds..

Bill Dix
12-27-2019, 09:57 AM
This is simply stunning, both as a fine image and as a great story. The bands are unfortunate, I guess, but certainly not surprising given the status of the bird. Besides, it is a contest entry, which would be denied if you had cloned the bands. Congratulations on a great image and a great experience.

Mike Poole
12-27-2019, 10:55 AM
Even without the back story this would be a lovely shot Gail, 2 complementary poses, usual great low POV. The BG could maybe take another round of NR, but that may be a screen thing/

One to make you smile each time you look at it

Mike

David Roach
12-27-2019, 02:46 PM
Awesome image and story... TFS

Colin Driscoll
12-27-2019, 05:37 PM
Wonderful image, soft light, detail, matching poses and sweet BG.
Great experience.

Randy Stout
12-27-2019, 09:02 PM
Gail:

Outstanding images and story. Hope to see many more of this species in the future if their recovery continues!

Cheers

Randy

Geoffrey Montagu
12-27-2019, 11:42 PM
Remakable image, Gail. The image quality is spot on in every respect. Very interesting story and hopefully the recovery of this beautiful bird continues.

Geoffrey

http://500px.com/geoffreymontagu (http://500px.com/geoffreymontagu)

Krishna Prasad kotti
12-28-2019, 06:31 AM
Beautiful Image. I love the eyes.

TFS

John Mack
12-28-2019, 07:06 AM
Neat little backstory to this image. Nice low angle and the interaction is great. Love that green water and background. Nice and sharp with good detail.

Aditya Sridhar
12-28-2019, 02:22 PM
Beautiful shot, Gail! Congrats on capturing this species. I agree with all the positives above. Hopefully I don't sound too nit-picky, but I'd like the see the dark blob on the top-left lightened as it draws my eye immediately when I look at the image. Also, just a sliver more room at the bottom of the frame for the 'virtual legs' would take this over the top for me :bg3:

Paul Burdett
12-30-2019, 12:27 AM
Hi Gail. Not much to add as I agree with the positive comments. Love everything about this image, and the story makes the experience even better for you. Looking forward to seeing more of your work in 2020. Cheers and Happy New Year!