PDA

View Full Version : Paper Wasp

Michael Lloyd
07-03-2008, 06:38 AM
I've put a few other versions of this nest up in this forum under the heading of Yellowjacket. I've just found out that they are actually Paper Wasps.

This was shot with an MP65E at 3.5X, ring flash, on a tripod. As yet I do not have a focusing rail so focus was achieved by bumping the tripod in/out. I have a shot at 4X but the mandible is on the edge of the image. Full frame, ie no crop

* Camera Make = Canon
* Camera Model = Canon EOS-1D Mark III
* Picture Orientation = normal (1)
* Exposure Time (1 / Shutter Speed) = 1/250 second = 0.004 second
* Lens F-Number/F-Stop = 8/1 = F8
* ISO Speed Ratings = 400
* Original Date/Time = 2008:07:02 14:44:26
* Shutter Speed (Exposure Time) = 1/250 second
* Aperture = F8
* Flash = Flash fired, compulsory flash mode
* Focal Length = 65/1 mm = 65 mm

Julie Kenward
07-03-2008, 01:57 PM
This is so good its creeping me out! :eek: I love that you really got in his face and the detail in the eye on the right is fantastic. I wish you could have either turned your angle a little bit more to either get them both equally in focus or go the other way and barely capture the left eye. That said, bravo on this one! No hot spots, good FG (foreground) and BG (background) and I really love the way you filled the frame with your subject. As I said, you are totally creeping me out! :D

Michael Lloyd
07-03-2008, 02:10 PM
Thanks Julie. I wish that I could have move my camera too. At one point the ring flash hit the ladder that the wasp nest is resting against. If I could find a better wasp nest to shoot I would but this one is about 4.5' off of the ground. The ring flash is only a couple of inches from the subject at the magnification that I used. I might be able to go up on the f stop and increase DOF but I'm pretty skeptical that it would help enough to matter. However, I am willing to give it another shot when the macro rail system comes in :o)

Julie Kenward
07-03-2008, 02:18 PM
If you give it another shot, I'd love to see those images! Just be careful!!! :eek::eek::eek:

Roman Kurywczak
07-03-2008, 03:08 PM
Hi Michael,
You are definitely having fun with these and I'm 100% sure my cajones wouln't do it as I am allergic. I hope you nail one of these with all the hard work you are doing. I really like the in your face approach you are taking. Just an FYI.........I have pushed the Mark 3 to ISO 1250 (and beyond) with fairly good noise results. You can always apply noise reduction in PP......but it mainly shows up in dark areas. Worth exploring. Another possible place for more DOF is to go to 1/125 of a second giving you one full stop there also.....at the very least..1/200 gives you 1/3 more DOF. ISO 1250 and 1/200 put you at f16........1/100th......f22..........+1 on the flash set up..........f32! Welcome to my world!!!

Michael Lloyd
07-05-2008, 08:29 AM
Thanks Roman. That's good info. I've push the MKIII all the way to H for night football games but seem to have a mental block about pushing it for macro shots :)

I'm on the way to Colorado (for a short period of R&R) so it might be a a week or so before I get back to the nest (mine and the wasps). I have a rail system coming... but it's not expected to ship until late July... bummer.

Jude Haase
07-05-2008, 12:16 PM
Very nice shot Michael ....I'd wish for a lil more DOF but I don't know what the conditions were. Still a very nice image as is! :)