View Full Version : Song Sparrow

mikedelaney
07-03-2008, 05:01 AM
canon digital rebel XTi
70-300 lens
f 6.3
1/1000 sec.
ISO 200

i have a real problem with this picture. i want to show the 'hairs' on the feathers, but want to have a pretty picture too.
are shadows allowed? if i get the picture so that i have as much foreground as background i lose my carefully focused look. i have to go down to about 500 pixels to get the 'pretty' one. i don't know what to do so here is my best shot.

Doug Brown
07-03-2008, 07:44 AM
In a picture like this, I don't go for equal amounts of FG and BG. I typically crop with a little less at the bottom of the frame than at the top. With regard to sharpness, you had plenty of shutter speed. I would have used a slightly smaller aperture (f/8) and a slightly higher ISO (or even kept the ISO the same). As I've mentioned before, these lenses need to be stopped down some for sharpest results. IMO the thing that this photo needs most is fill flash. The sun was behind the bird, and fill flash would have brightened it up and probably added a little sharpness. Try to locate yourself between the sun and the bird too. You're starting to get the hang of it Mike!

Alfred Forns
07-03-2008, 08:06 AM
Hi Mike getting better all the time !!!!

First thing that I see here is the sun angle as mentioned by Doug !!! Fill flash is an option but would suggest to get proper sun angle and don't get fancy trying bring another variable into the picture !!! If the bird flies away while you move into sun angle... just too bad keep trying. Seems like a better plan than shooting against the sun !!!!

As presented back lit there is no chance to have the sharp feathers that you want You need light for that and here they are all in the shade. For making image more appealing a lower angle is the way to go. Not a good idea to photograph straight down at a bird. The lower angle will give a pleasing bg and special view !!!

mikedelaney
07-03-2008, 07:27 PM
thanks Alfred and Doug. i've tried fill flash with my bad light photos and it didn't seem to help there. i'll try it for good pics and see what i get. what about shadows, is there a rule to cover that? i didn't know whether to clone it or just leave it.
thanks again.
mike

Doug Brown
07-04-2008, 06:09 PM
The shadow has maximum impact here because it falls between you and the bird. The impact would be much smaller if the sun were behind you, because the shadow would be behind the bird. Fill flash works in both low light and back light. You just have to learn how to use it. You also need a Better Beamer at longer focal lengths.