PDA

View Full Version : Bonnelli's Eagle (Aquila fasciata)

Jonathan Ashton
12-21-2019, 06:03 PM
We had a really good time with a pair of Bonneli's Eagles, we spotted them in a tree about 200yd from the shore of the river , I asked the guide to pull up at the river side and we got out and walked nonchalantly zigzag fashion toward the tree. We got within shooting distance and fired a few frames after a while they flew off to some other trees nearer to the river. We followed and again got some images, some of which were in flight, then they came down to bathe at another spot in the river. I got some distant shots and gradually we got closer and closer and even a little too close.
(I have added just a little canvas to this image left and top to balance the composition).

Hand held from a boat

Olympus : E-M1X
Lens focal length : 420 mm
Focal length in 35 mm film : 841.0mm
Exposure mode : Manual exposure
Photographic Sensitivity : 400
Exposure bias : +0.7 EV
Exposure time : 1/1600 sec
F number : F5.6
Flash : OFF

Processed in LR & PSCC2020

John Mack
12-22-2019, 11:11 AM
Neat looking eagle never heard or have seen one. I like the pose and the detail on the bird looks quite nice. Nice you got to watch him bathe.

Tim Munsey
12-23-2019, 04:30 AM
I'm told these are really big, I'd like to see one near another known raptor, is this a Spanish bird? Looking forward to seeing some more.

Jonathan Ashton
12-23-2019, 07:04 AM
I'm told these are really big, I'd like to see one near another known raptor, is this a Spanish bird? Looking forward to seeing some more.

It is a large bird of prey Tim, but as far as eagles go it is about medium size, it has very large feet and talons, the rear one in particular. I presume this one is a resident.