PDA

View Full Version : Sacred kingfisher

Alex Becker
12-20-2019, 05:28 PM
Hi all,

A Sacred kingfisher / kōtare from New Zealand. I was thrilled to get this one with a catch. In post small crop, NR, cloned some bright spots in the BG.

Camera: Nikon D500
Lens: 500mm f/4 + 1.4 TC III
Specs: 1/800 f/5.6 ISO 1,600

Thanks for looking and commenting on prior posts!
Alex

Colin Driscoll
12-20-2019, 11:28 PM
I like the shot with the wet plumage (from diving for the fish?) but if the resolution can cope, might be better with a tighter crop.
Also the bird could do with a bit of a lift to bring more from the green areas.
BG is a good contrast, showing the bird of well.

John Mack
12-21-2019, 07:59 AM
Nice framing. Like that rock perch. Nice pose on the bird and the prey is great. Background is right on as well. Detail looks nice.

gail bisson
12-21-2019, 08:36 AM
So nice to see the kotare with a fish.
I agree with Colin's critique re: cropping a bit tighter. The volcanic rock perch is a bit overpowering.
Nice BG!
Gail

Joseph Przybyla
12-21-2019, 10:05 AM
Hi Alex, I like the image a lot. The bird and prey are quite nice, the perch leads the viewers eye to the bird and prey. I like the composition as is, I guess because I and fond of negative space. If mine I might try to mitigate the brighter splotches. Thank you for sharing.

Bill Dix
12-21-2019, 10:12 AM
Another lovely shot of this great little KF. I also felt that there might be a little too much of the volcanic rock perch, but otherwise quite nice. Prey certainly a plus.

Steve Kaluski
12-22-2019, 07:21 AM
Hi Alex, agree, an absolute belter, perhaps just a sliver off the foot, but I do like the way you framed it and the natural perch. My only thought is that the Contrast/Blacks as masking a lot more detail you have in the capture and that nice iridescent green plumage.

Just my take Alex FWIW. :S3:

TFS
Steve

Geoffrey Montagu
12-22-2019, 03:17 PM
Great looking Kingfisher with prey in beautiful soft light. Prefer the original.

Geoffrey

http://500px.com/geoffreymontagu (http://500px.com/geoffreymontagu)

arash_hazeghi
12-23-2019, 01:36 AM
I like the pose and the fish, nice details too. I find the OOF part of the perch mildly distracting but the rest is great

TFS