PDA

View Full Version : Very rare Flame Colored Tanager

Gus Hallgren
07-03-2008, 01:55 AM
Hi Folks: i was lucky this year and was the first to photograph this beauty. Was listed on Rare Bird site http://www.azfo.org/gallery/FCTA_madera_Hallgren_20080229.html
"Flame-colored Tanager (Piranga bidentata) L 7.75" WS 12" WT1.2 oz (35 g)
This male Flame-colored Tanager has returned every spring and summer for the last six years to the Kubo B&B at Madera Canyon. It was photographed this year by Gus Hallgren on 29 March 2008.
Flame-colored Tanager is very rare in the Sky Islands but has been recorded in the Chiricahuas, Huachucas and Santa Ritas. It has bred several times and been observed to hybridize with Western Tanagers. It is an Arizona Bird Committee Review species. Distinguished from Western Tanager by streaked back and rump, orange-yellow plumage, dark border on cheek, dark bill and large white bars on wings."

Olympus E-510, Zuiko 75-300 ED
Aperture Priority 1/320s, F/6.3
ISO 400
0.00ev
Auto WB
600mm Hand Held

Desmond Chan
07-03-2008, 02:03 AM
Good job!!

Alfred Forns
07-03-2008, 07:43 AM
HI Gus big Congrats on obtaining such a good image form this rare bird !!! I'm sure the birders are not at all concern with head position, light angle and bg !!!

Way to to !!!!!! :)

Doug Brown
07-03-2008, 07:50 AM
Congrats Gus on getting a good look at a rare bird. I too was able to photograph the flame-colored tanager at Madeira Kubo last year. Didn't get as good a look as you did though!

Harold Davis
07-03-2008, 12:14 PM
congrats on the capture, gus!!!

Gus Hallgren
07-04-2008, 11:08 AM
Hi Folks: Thanks for looking at my photo with your upbeat comments. If anyone is interested, the Flame Colored Tanager is still hanging around Kubo B&B, Madera Canyon, AZ along with the Grosbeaks including the Blue Grosbeak, all the Tanagers, Orioles, Painted Redstart with the Elegant Trogon visiting the cabins across the street occasionally, though it is hanging out on the Carrie Nation Trail now. Also at Kubo B&B there are about 6 Hummingbirds, Broad_billed, Magnificent, Blue Throat, Black-chinned, Berylline, and occasional White-eared. plus all the regular Goldfinches, Acorn & Arizona Woodpeckers, Bluejays, Bridled titmouse, and others. . . . lucky to have them so close . . . Lucky Gus :D