View Full Version : Keel-billed Toucan

gail bisson
12-10-2019, 11:42 AM
Taken in Costa Rica
Canon 1 DX 600mm
ISO 1250 SS 1/320 F 5.6
90% FF
Taken at a feeder set-up.
PP: Crop, sliders in LR including reducing highlights and reducing luminance in the yellows. Cloned out a raindrop that intersected with bill. NR to BG and sharpen JPEG
Comments and critiques always appreciated and learned from with thanks.

Randy Stout
12-10-2019, 12:09 PM
Gail:

Beautiful bird with that crazy bill. Like the slight transillumination at the tip of the bill. Overall luminosity is very nice, fits well with the light rain.

I might consider toning down the light yellow leaves to the left of the bird on top of the perch. It is one of the lighter areas in the frame, and does tend to pull the eye a bit.

Cheers

Randy

gail bisson
12-10-2019, 12:36 PM
Thanks Randy. Excellent advice and I agree with you 100%. Here is a quick redo.
Thanks

Geoffrey Montagu
12-10-2019, 01:15 PM
Love the light and rain on this beautiful creature, Gail. Beautiful rich colors with a great background. I agree with Randy's suggestion, but in the repost it still tends to pull my eye towards it. This might be an extreme nit, but I can see a version without that plant, and I know how well the two plants frame the bird. Lovely as posted.

Geoffrey

http://500px.com/geoffreymontagu (http://500px.com/geoffreymontagu)

Bill Dix
12-10-2019, 04:00 PM
Beautiful pose by the iconic bird. Sharp and well exposed on the bird. Raindrops add interest. The repost helps; you might have gone even further. More DOF might have been nice, but it's tough to fight that dim rain forest light. Nice mossy setup -- shows the value of a setup; I never got a close shot of these guys in the wild (i.e sans feeders and/or audio).

Aditya Sridhar
12-10-2019, 04:23 PM
This is gorgeous, Gail! The repost is great and I don't find the leaves distracting at all. Love the HA, composition, habitat and colors. I think a shot of contrast using the Neutrals and Blacks slider using Selective Color will add some punch to the image - as is, I find the blacks on the bird slightly thin.

Krishna Prasad kotti
12-10-2019, 11:43 PM
Classic shot of Toucan Image.

Everything looks good to me.

TFS

Paul Burdett
12-11-2019, 03:43 AM
Hi Gail. Nice to see you on here (been a while?). Beautiful image of this colourful bird...love the composition, perch and the raindrops. TFS

Ivan Sjogren
12-11-2019, 09:19 AM
A classic setting for this beautiful Toucan! I think the image stands out thanks to the strong composition with those leaves on either side of the bird and than the rain that creates a nice depth of field. Bird itself looks perfect and well exposed. Congrats!

arash_hazeghi
12-12-2019, 02:34 AM
very nice frame, I like the rain drops and the settings of the rain forest captured here

TFS

Joseph Przybyla
12-12-2019, 08:18 AM
Hi Gail, beautiful image, love the rain drops. I guess I wish it wasn't a setup, if not it would take it over the top. Thank you for sharing.

John Mack
12-13-2019, 07:58 AM
Looks great. Love the pose perch and the rain of course.