PDA

View Full Version : Hey! Gimme Some Room Down There!

Bill Dix
12-02-2019, 01:14 PM
Snow Goose landing. Bosque early morning a few weeks ago. Cropped some bottom and left.

D500, Sigma 150-600C @ 550mm; ISO 1600, 1/3200s @ f/8 manual.

Paul Burdett
12-03-2019, 01:09 AM
Lovely early morning light Bill. Lovely landing pose and detail. When I first looked at it I thought that it needed the birds on land to be less oof, but I'm still debating that. TFS

Alex Becker
12-03-2019, 05:33 PM
Killer light and great pose on the bird. Pano crop is great. I like the OOF birds as they don't intersect with the IF bird. Open beak adds a lot. TFS

Randy Stout
12-04-2019, 06:38 AM
Bill:

I like the landing bird, its pose, framing, open bill (too bad we can't have the sound track! I bet it was loud.)

The out of focus birds help tell the story. Because the subject is quite softly lit (which is nice), I find the mass of white in the background competes for my attention a bit more than I would like. I might try a subtle change in the brightness of the birds on the back, lowering their brightness just a bit, to help make the subject more dominant. Or, of course, you could brighten the main bird a bit. Just some tinkering to consider.

Cheers

Randy

Bill Dix
12-04-2019, 09:16 AM
Thanks, guys, for looking and commenting. Randy, I had lowered the brightness of the oof geese in my initial processing, but maybe not enough. I agree they are still competing. I've tinkered a little in the repost, lowering the brightness of the oof birds a notch or two, and raising the brightness of the subject just a tiny bit without going over 240. Maybe it helps?

Arthur Morris
12-06-2019, 07:28 PM
I like both versions and cannot even see a difference. I like the image and the crop. I was there for 13 days and never goot a whiff of a southeast wind. But I had six inches of snow, a great foggy morning, and a zillion blastoffs.

with love, artie

Bill Dix
12-06-2019, 08:03 PM
Thank you Artie.