D2X
1/250s
F/22
100 ISO
60mm Macro
Dual Flashes with third flash in back for rim light

Bruce Murden
07-02-2008, 09:48 PM
Excellent backlighting on this lady slipper. I love the lighting on the pouch, the upper leaf, and the stem. I hope you find more images like this! The only minor thing I'd like to change is to burn in the small white area at the base of the flower & petals which grabs a bit too much attention.

James Parker
07-02-2008, 10:07 PM
Bruce, Google Falling Water and you will get the exact location. Jim

Robert O'Toole
07-02-2008, 11:32 PM
Like the subject and dramatic lighting but the light is a little too strong and contrasty. A diffuser was really needed, a hand held version or ideally a cloud would have improved the image quite a bit. Also the image looks a little soft.

Robert

Ed Vatza
07-03-2008, 05:30 AM
Nice flower, nice set up and nice composition. Have to agree that it looks just a tad soft and hot in spots. These have got to be the last Lady Slippers of the year, don't they?

Julie Kenward
07-03-2008, 02:16 PM
James, I agree that the lighting is really harsh in this image. You have a few spots that have lost a lot of detail because of the exposure and then other parts are a bit underexposed.

One thing I've found to be helpful is when you go dark, GO DARK. Your BG in this is muddied and only partially there so why not just get rid of it (cloning or levels adjustment in PS) and really show that flower off! I've taken your image and done that while also trying to balance out the light a bit (although it is REALLY harsh in places.) I think it gives you a cleaner, more dramatic image.

It's only one way to go but thought others might like to see the comparison.

Roman Kurywczak
07-03-2008, 02:54 PM
Hi James,
Possible corrections mentioned and it also looks a bit soft on my monitor. Back lighting can be very dramatic but you would have needed a bit more ambient light to pull it off totally. Julie's handling of the BG is interesting and some people.........including myself......don't mind it. Usually it gets a strong response either way......but it takes it out of the realm of natural looking!