PDA

View Full Version : Black-eyed Susan

Ed Vatza
07-02-2008, 08:26 PM
Came across a small patch of Black-eyed Susans last weekend. Spent a bit of time making images from several different perspectives. Here is one.

Canon Rebel XT; Sigma 150mm Macro lens; Canon 430 EX Flash with LumiQuest Softbox; Tripod-mounted

1/80 sec at f/11; ISO 800; 0 EV; FEC -1

Robert O'Toole
07-02-2008, 11:33 PM
Interesting crop, its different and I like it. The water droplets and the soft light is really great. Good flash balance with the ambient.

Robert

Ed Vatza
07-03-2008, 06:11 AM
Interesting crop, its different and I like it. The water droplets and the soft light is really great. Good flash balance with the ambient.

Robert

Thanks, Robert. Appreciate the critique. As I said, I made many images - both horizontals and verts, full flower with stem and without, two flowers - one in focus and the other oof, tighter close-ups, different f-stops and this was the one that appealed the most to me.

Alway interested to hear others' opinions whether they agree with me or not. It's all part of the learning experience. :)

Julie Kenward
07-03-2008, 09:29 AM
Very nice work, Ed. I really love the angle that you captured on this one - it makes the photo have a different feel to it than your typical lazy susan flower photo. You did an excellent job of lighting it and the details on the petals and stem are sharp and crisp. Love that you went vertical with this one!

Roman Kurywczak
07-03-2008, 02:47 PM
Hey Ed,
After seeing the small thumb I was wondering..........what was he thinking???.........then i opened it up......and boy am I glad I did!... You pretty much broke every comp rule in the books with this one........but you pulled it off very well because of the light, compositional use of the petals, and your choice of DOF. The intentional cutting of the side petals works because the 3 front one stter out eye to the center of the BES. That stem is also saving this vert and wouldn't have the same look without it. Way to break the rules succesfully!