PDA

View Full Version : Limpkin

Joseph Przybyla
11-23-2019, 03:59 PM
I captured this image at Lake Mirror in Lakeland, Florida. The Limpkin is pretty much endemic to Florida but I does stray to southern Georgia. When the Apple Snails are abundant so it the Limpkin. I can be seen foraging in the shallow water feeling for a snail. Then carrying the snail to land where it uses its bill to break through the operculum to consume the snail, leaving the empty shell behind. Comments and critique welcomed and appreciated. Thank you for viewing.

Nikon D500
Nikon 80-400mm F/4.5-5.6 VRII AF-S ED, image captured at 400mm
1/2000 F/8 Matrix Metering EV -2/3 ISO 640 Auto 1 WB, camera supported by a monopod
Post processed in Lightroom Classic, Photoshop CC 2020 and Neat Image for noise reduction, cleaned up a reflection ln the eye
Cropped for composition and presentation

P.S. Learn more about Lake Mirror in the BAA Middle Florida Photography Site Guide that Artie and I co-authored. It is available on the Birds As Art Online Store.

Paul Burdett
11-23-2019, 06:40 PM
Excellent detail and sharpness in the neck/head. Lovely smooth background. Perhaps a little tight in the frame? I'd also tone down the highlights on the beak a little.

John Mack
11-23-2019, 08:22 PM
Solid portrait here. Nice pose and detail. Green background is nice as well. A limpkin was photographed in Ohio this year i think or maybe Illinois?

Tim Munsey
11-24-2019, 12:46 AM
Very pleasant portrait, not sure it's perfect in the frame but must be close.

Kamal Hari Menon
11-24-2019, 04:48 AM
Beautiful bird and very sharp face and neck.

But I feel the angle could have been better as the out of focus back seems a bit distracting to me.

William Dickson
11-24-2019, 04:38 PM
Well done Joe...the detail on the neck and bill really make this image. I would try sharpening the head area a little more. Lovely colours throughout.

Will

Dorian Anderson
11-24-2019, 11:49 PM
The lighting, detail, and background are fabulous, but I agree with fluffed back feather are a bit distracting. I'd also like to see a bit more room in front of the beak if you have it, but this is a really striking frame however you present it.

Joseph Przybyla
11-25-2019, 09:35 AM
Solid portrait here. Nice pose and detail. Green background is nice as well. A limpkin was photographed in Ohio this year i think or maybe Illinois?

Hi John, I think the one in Ohio or Illinois must have been a rare occasion. I am sure bird watchers were flocking to see it. Thanks for viewing and commenting.

Joseph Przybyla
11-25-2019, 09:37 AM
Thanks everyone for viewing and commenting, much appreciated.

Here is a edit and repost reflecting ths suggestions for improving the image.