PDA

View Full Version : Theme Long-tailed broadbill portrait

Kamal Hari Menon
11-23-2019, 03:04 AM
Unfortunately no tail in this shot.. it came too close.. well.. inside the foliage..

I'm not very sure about it...

Looking forward for suggestions for improvement.

EXIF:
Make - NIKON CORPORATION
Model - NIKON D500
Software - Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Classic 8.1 (Windows)
ExposureTime - 1/320 seconds
FNumber - 5.60
ExposureProgram - Aperture priority
ISOSpeedRatings - 800
DateTimeOriginal - 2017:04:30
ShutterSpeedValue - 1/320 seconds
ApertureValue - F 5.60
ExposureBiasValue - -0.33
MaxApertureValue - F 5.60
SubjectDistance - 7.94 m
MeteringMode - Spot
LightSource - Auto
Flash - Not fired
FocalLength - 700 mm
SubsecTimeOriginal - 54
Contrast - Normal
Saturation - Normal
Sharpness - Normal

Randy Stout
11-23-2019, 06:39 AM
Kamal:

I really like the facial "expression" and angle. Very sharp without being "crunchy".soft background and great eye contact.

Wish the dominant OOF area from right side of the frame wasn't there, the other oof material not so much of an issue visually. Yes, no tail showing, but it is really the face that makes this one.

There is a modest green color cast in the image, and I would run a curves adjustment to neutralize that.

Cheers

Randy

Tim Munsey
11-23-2019, 10:20 AM
Great to see something I've never seen before, but definitely needs another go.

Daniel Cadieux
11-23-2019, 03:03 PM
Yes, the tail missing is unfortunate, but the oof leaf cutting across the subject is a bigger issue here IMO. Good details on this beautiful bird (which I've never seen before!). Good head angle and BG too. Is this cropped form horizontal? If yes, then recognizing when to go vertical in the field is a skill that is worth getting n the habit of for situations like this. If this is an original vertical, then good thinking!

John Mack
11-23-2019, 08:26 PM
Love the colors on this bird. Nice pose. Sure not an easy bird to get clean frames off.

Kamal Hari Menon
11-24-2019, 05:02 AM
First of all thanks for the comments.

It is a vertical shot which was supposed to cover the tail too.. but the bird was inside the bush and this is how I had to crop it. I shall share a full body shot of this species someday.

arash_hazeghi
11-25-2019, 03:11 AM
lovely bird too bad the tail is clipped and the OOF blade blocked the subject, better luck next time :)

TFS