PDA

View Full Version : Male Wood Duck Makes an Approach.

Daniel Cadieux
11-17-2019, 04:10 PM
I like the "evil" look many ducks can have when looked at straight on. This one was actually looking for a handout. With many mallards, and quie a few Wood Ducks as well, it was a challenge isolating just one individual as they all eagerly came in for seeds. The trick was to throw some food very far - have them all go to that - and then throwing some closer and photographing the leading bird(s) swimming back in as all the others were still busy with the far stuff. Fun times!

Canon 7DII + 500mm f/4 II, manual exposure, evaluative metering, 1/200s., f/4, ISO 1600, natural light, handheld, FF, a few flecks removed from the water via spot removal. Birds fed seeds and corn to entice them closer.

Tim Munsey
11-18-2019, 12:36 AM
Great POV and enjoying the look of purpose, the perfectionist in me would like symmetry to make it a winner.

Randy Stout
11-18-2019, 06:57 AM
Daniel:

Great POV, and yes that intense wood duck stare. The soft light shows off all the subtle variations in the colors. Nice job keeping it sharp at 1/200s on a moving bird. The light rain adds interest. Nice catch lights.

Well done.

Cheers

Randy

Joseph Przybyla
11-18-2019, 07:39 AM
Wonderful image, Dan. About as perfect as it gets. I echo Randy's comments. Thank you for sharing.

Mike Poole
11-18-2019, 11:43 AM
Spot on as ever Dan - not sure how you seem to get the level of detail you do at such slow shutter speeds!

Mike

William Dickson
11-18-2019, 04:17 PM
Great detail and awesome colours. Love the stare with a great POV. Very nice.

Will

John Mack
11-19-2019, 02:55 PM
Love the colors of this one. The faint rain is nice as well. Great low angle and head on approach.

Alex Becker
11-19-2019, 09:21 PM
Awesome low angle, setting, colors, and detail. The rain is a great touch. Amazing detail given the lower SS. TFS